The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed?

+12
TheLolness
Raijouta
SinFa
Sevyn
Arkitek
Blind_Merc
Habit
MaxxOverdrive
Doomkiwi
Boshiwukins
chivers706
Kremit
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed?

If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Vote_lcap59%If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 19 ]
If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Vote_lcap28%If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 9 ]
If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Vote_lcap13%If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 32

If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Empty If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed?

Post  Kremit 2011-02-23, 7:49 pm

Read the polling question before submitting your vote!

This thread has been given aproval by Sevyn!

This thread is just for voting purposes!. You may post your opinion's. Do NOT post Off topic. I have asked Sevyn to lock the thread or edit the persons post "off topic". Do not mention anyones name or faction unless they name themselves as this thread is not to turn into a flaming match. I want a civilised discussion about this topic as it is a popular one and i belive that the admins/mods should know the servers thoughts on this topic.

My opinion on this topic is that Mob Farms including exessive animal farms should be banned from the new server when/if the class/level mod is implemented, as this would make the hunter class null and void as it would have no use. I also believe that Mob Farms ruin the economy as the rarer items like sulphur are to easy to get and end up costing less than common items like Iron ect. I cannot find the thread at this time discribing the mod, although im sure a lot of people can remember it.

I am not talking about monster spawners they would be fine as the player would have to kill the mobs themselves.
Kremit
Kremit

Back to top Go down

If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Empty Re: If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed?

Post  chivers706 2011-02-23, 7:57 pm

I also want to say that everything here is legit and he is not talking about any faction or player.... You are allowed to post your opinion that is your right but dont take this post and go way out into left field with it
chivers706
chivers706

Back to top Go down

If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Empty Re: If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed?

Post  Boshiwukins 2011-02-23, 8:01 pm

If the server were to be reset should Mob Farms be allowed? Left_f10
Boshiwukins
Boshiwukins

Back to top Go down

Post  Doomkiwi 2011-02-23, 8:05 pm

I wouldn't want mob farms, not to insult Diabloz or anything like that, because he worked very hard on his and it's a very cool invention, but it takes away from the dynamic of having to actually go and kill mobs. Also they're fucking huge and unseemly, like other things, but that's another thread. It's just really a game breaker and floods the market with TnT, arrows, and string.
Doomkiwi

Back to top Go down

Post  Boshiwukins 2011-02-23, 8:28 pm

Its true pale
Boshiwukins
Boshiwukins

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-02-23, 11:17 pm

Doomkiwi wrote:I wouldn't want mob farms, not to insult Diabloz or anything like that, because he worked very hard on his and it's a very cool invention, but it takes away from the dynamic of having to actually go and kill mobs. Also they're fucking huge and unseemly, like other things, but that's another thread. It's just really a game breaker and floods the market with TnT, arrows, and string.

All this, plus the fact that people will be less likely to leave their base at all if they can just stand in one spot and harvest. You made up a more than acceptable RP reason for it in the last thread, Diabloz, but if everyone could just stand in a room and loot up, there would be very little interaction with anyone else outside their respective kingdoms (except for PvP/raids, of course).

Maybe if they were required to be built outside of towny'd areas, so that other factions could attack/capture them, it would be a bit more fun to use, and give factions someplace else to fight for other than their capitals. Sure, occupants will be able to set up a few defenses, but they would not be towny protected at all, making them much harder to defend than cities.

Of course finding a way to prevent anyone from simply building one inside their city would be next to impossible (prevent mobs from spawning in towns?), but that's the only idea I've got at the moment.

MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-02-23, 11:42 pm

better lets vote for another mapreset : D
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-02-23, 11:56 pm

Habit wrote:better lets vote for another mapreset : D

If that happens again without a good excuse I'm out of here.

Yet I'm guessing your trolling! xD

I see you Percy Pirate!
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Arkitek 2011-02-24, 12:09 am

Well economically speaking it does lower the price of items like sulfur, but it also creates wealth. Mobs drops are not worth the food, time, or the damage to weapons and armor. If I can't get enough sulfur for my own sulfur needs I will not be selling any. And people that will sell their sulfur will sell it for so much that the price of 1 dynamite is not worth what it does. Even arrows, which you can make without mobs, I feel would be over priced. Anyone that is planing on making money from making arrows or fighting mobs is a horrible way of making money in my opinion even if mob spawners where banned. No one wants to buy over priced items no matter how much they need them.

Mob towers give our city for example a lot of extra resources which we end up selling to less developed cities. I think they create more trading not less. It's kind of like the idea of Henry Fords assembly line It makes the products cheaper but by making them cheaper poorer people are able to afford the product.

This even could allow for hiring people for building projects between kingdoms. Really what other jobs are there for architects and engineers if you take away "engineering advancements".

Well as I hope you could tell by that, I am in support of keeping mob spawners around.

Last edited by Arkitek on 2011-02-24, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Arkitek
Arkitek

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-02-24, 1:10 am

Arkitek wrote:Well economically speaking it does lower the price of items like sulfur, but it also creates wealth.

Ever hear of Zimbabwe's currency? No? Let me put it this way: there are homeless trillionaires.
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  SinFa 2011-02-24, 1:51 am

i think that mob spawners is kinda like industrialization. its other organizations fault for not having the ability or skills to build their own.
SinFa

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-02-24, 6:47 am

Blind_Merc wrote:
Habit wrote:better lets vote for another mapreset : D

If that happens again without a good excuse I'm out of here.

Yet I'm guessing your trolling! xD

I see you Percy Pirate!

yeah well, 2 weeks are over, getting timt to reset soon Very Happy
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  Raijouta 2011-02-24, 7:19 am

Sevyn wrote:
Arkitek wrote:Well economically speaking it does lower the price of items like sulfur, but it also creates wealth.

Ever hear of Zimbabwe's currency? No? Let me put it this way: there are homeless trillionaires.

Possessing large amounts of currency != wealth. You're describing a hyperinflationary situation, which occurs when the government increases the money supply too much. Not the same as what is being described here.

Instead, what we would have is too much supply of goods (assuming everyone aims for maximum production) but in an economy like Minecraft's where everyone can be a consumer, including yourself, and you can generate as much demand as you want (namely, the player can make full use of everything he produces) it does create a sort of egalitarian level of wealth, assuming everyone decides to build a mob grinder. IRL, there aren't such opportunities to consume everything you produce, except in domestic-scale societies.

Of course, there are those who oppose mob grinders for political and moral reasons, and they would be forced to rely on purchase of the goods from other players. Since there is no start-up cost of land, labor, or capital (unless you decide to pay someone for any of these things) and since anyone can build a mob grinder, not to mention the fact that it doesn't cost anything to maintain, nor is there a downtime or any of the other restrictions one has in real life, theoretically there can be a constant supply of these goods. Should these goods be placed on the market and assuming there are people willing to purchase, the greater supply would dictate a lower price than had these items been more rare.

Since Minecraft is not suited to specialization of player roles aside from role play context, you can not expect to ban mob grinders. Anyone can and likely will build one to suit their own needs. Already, items like bones, string, and feathers are relatively ubiquitous, meaning everyone has them in large quantities. On the other hand, the fact that mob grinders are present and producing so much of these goods creates demand for other raw materials; namely, sand and flint. Sand for TNT, flint for arrows. This would cause the worth of these two commodities to rise, especially flint, which is relatively rare as it is.

tl;dr I'm not sure if mob grinders should be banned but I'm seeking to explain the economics behind it.
Raijouta
Raijouta

Back to top Go down

Post  Arkitek 2011-02-24, 8:13 am

Sevyn wrote:

As long as Soto does not mass produce coins this will not happen =P. Really that has nothing to do what mob spawners do though. How over inflation works is when is all of a sudden print up a TON of money or say that this 1 dollar is now worth 1 million, some county's after world war 2 did this to pay off their dept.
Arkitek
Arkitek

Back to top Go down

Post  TheLolness 2011-02-24, 9:26 am

yes lets remove, creativity, intelligence and ingenuity. like someone stated before its a nation development, what else is there to do if your trying to limit minicrafts already limited resources, its not like iron generates every in game year. eventually most part of the kingdoms are going o be depleting in resources, because you make armor, then break that armor fighting monsters. there's only so much resources in game this is one way to conserve them. and like i said before this takes away from the engineer,inventor RP since your limiting the machines we can build. i already build a squid grinder with diabloz. if you ban mob grinders then your considering banning all other spawning machines, like the cactus machine. and other machines we have been working on. this is minecraft creativity ingenuity and originality should be allowed.
TheLolness
TheLolness

Back to top Go down

Post  chivers706 2011-02-24, 2:53 pm

The only thing that I dont like about mob grinders(not spawners) is that when this server becomes more of an RP'ing server which this will happen then it takes away from the fact that someone who wants to be a hunter really cant. This is because if someone had a mob grinder that pumps out a shit load of items then they could sell this at a really low price and then the hunter would not be able to sell his goods and support his family(then his children would have to go to some orphanages and his wife would have to sell her herself to the soldiers that need some lovin, I know a bad situation, the hunter would then kill him self in shame of what he has become) ... would you really want this. Not only that but some people do make the point which is to have a successful mob grinder then it is huge and un wanted... Even if this is underground it would just take up to much room for something that only a few can use and profit off of.
chivers706
chivers706

Back to top Go down

Post  Diabloz 2011-02-24, 4:50 pm

a really good hunter should be able to match a mob grinder, he should know how to make mobs appear, how to kill them efficiently, a good location to hunt specific monsters and even have traps set up. as of now the effective mob algorithms changed, meaning my mob grinder has been limited by the mobs new behavior. meaning it needs maintenance, (like a real machine) but i will see if decide to or not. currently and i dont know the reason it only pumps 500-2000 item/hr from before at 4000-8000 /hr Razz.
Diabloz
Diabloz
Smart People's Club
Smart People's Club

Back to top Go down

Post  Kremit 2011-02-24, 4:57 pm

Diabloz wrote:a really good hunter should be able to match a mob grinder, he should know how to make mobs appear, how to kill them efficiently, a good location to hunt specific monsters and even have traps set up.

Thus it would make more sence (to me anyway) if mob spawners were removed if the server were to be reset. As it would get people to get out there, becomed skilled in killing mobs would also help in pvp.

In my stores i have about 8 or so stacks of iron i have no use for it but to make armour and weapons, thus making people go out and farm mobs themselves would use this resourse and thus make a market for iron aswell.
Kremit
Kremit

Back to top Go down

Post  chivers706 2011-02-24, 5:36 pm

I have to agree with kremit and say that not only would it help with hunter but then other people would have jobs and what not.... you would have a smelter/blacksmith who could produce items for the hunter and then trade and or buy there supplies... thus helping the economy of the server..

I do have to say Diabloz and that is when the game is finale then you will not have to maintain your mob grinder becuase there will be no changes to the game
chivers706
chivers706

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanelk 2011-02-24, 7:11 pm

Well this wasn't ever meant to be a full on rp server. It was a light rp server especially when I joined.
ivanelk

Back to top Go down

Post  Kremit 2011-02-24, 7:23 pm

Times are changing?
Kremit
Kremit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-02-24, 7:49 pm

@Raijouta

You win the "Smarter than a Mod" award. My bad.
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Diabloz 2011-02-24, 8:08 pm

well what it comes down to, is the peoples choice.
Diabloz
Diabloz
Smart People's Club
Smart People's Club

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-02-24, 8:26 pm

Diabloz wrote:well what it comes down to, is the peoples choice.

Peoples choice or majority rules?

___
I'm sure even if mob farms were illegal, there will be some shady underground deals. I mean seriously, it's not like every has bothered building one. Plus no one rarely has money to actually buy the crap themselves. The economy seems nearly useless....
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanelk 2011-02-24, 8:34 pm

Blind_Merc wrote:
Diabloz wrote:well what it comes down to, is the peoples choice.

Peoples choice or majority rules?

___
I'm sure even if mob farms were illegal, there will be some shady underground deals. I mean seriously, it's not like every has bothered building one. Plus no one rarely has money to actually buy the crap themselves. The economy seems nearly useless....
Money is too valuable and I have mentioned in the past, but I believe people should start with money otherwise what is the difference between trading a gold bar for 10 iron bars or giving 10 coins for 10 iron bars, there is none.
Not to mention everyone that was supposed to get back their money from the old server hasn't which took away a pretty large stimulus to the economy as Darwin was going to go buy lots of building materials when he got his, and I know I planned on something specific for our kingdom as well.
ivanelk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next