The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redd's Building Guide

+19
thewarthog
Rorandes
derekiv
Soulcom
Omni123
Luke17
BrynHavoc
skeletonboy
h0witzer
Clinthor
Toren
Sevyn
CornNerd
Blind_Merc
Hazzy
Soto_Black
Habit
Littlemoomoo
AdrianRedd
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Redd's Building Guide Empty Redd's Building Guide

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-16, 6:54 pm

=====Redd’s Guide to Building Houses=====

ARRR!!!! Hallo fellow Minecrafters and Kingdom Dwellers. This is my guide to helping YOU, the people that make this server amazing, build equally amazing houses! We have cities to build, and it’s high time we stopped slapping them together as fast as we can. It’s time we seriously took time and effort to really plan out our buildings, and make our cities not only functional, but beautiful.

What do I mean by that? Well….

THIS is what I see all the time.

Redd's Building Guide 2wokbwm

Apparently a suitable living space is something that is basically a big box. Stick a sign on the door that says “BOB’S SUPER HOUSE” and apparently it’s the coolest house you could have. And why not? It took time to gather those materials, make the walls. So what if you didn’t take time to build a roof, you made SOMETHING.

I know it might seem like an exaggeration, but I have seen buildings like this in the Kingdoms, and many other servers. It seems like so long as it’s big, has lots of space and is super easy to build, it’s a decent building. I disagree.

Ok, first rule.

Rule 1: Always use more than one material.

Let’s mix Planks, Cobble, and Logs together. I like to put cobble on the bottom for the floor, and logs on the corners. The results are instantly more appealing. That cow certainly looks impressed!

Redd's Building Guide N155ap

Still needs a little something. Howabout glass, half stone, and cobble stairs? Let’s make a roof out of cobble stairs, and use half stone for the front step instead of those cobble blocks. Glass windows aren’t my favorite, but they’ll do for this illustration.

Redd's Building Guide A4bzte

There, now that looks a lot better! However, while the textures look super sweet, it’s still just a box with a roof slapped on it. As fancy as it is, let’s try adding DIMENSION!

Rule 2: Always think outside the “box”.

That means get outside of a box shape and add some dimension to it. See our roof? I think it can look better. It’s kind of just sitting there looking…. roofy. Let’s pull it out and break the plane of the box. We can pull it forward, adding a nice cover for our porch. Using fences I can add support for the roof, and make a nice porch area.

Redd's Building Guide 14k85md

See? Isn’t that more interesting looking? Now, let’s get really crazy…..

Rule 3: Always build a house with more than four sides.

Our house is still a little boxy looking, so let’s try and change that. Let’s add a new story! I’ll take the roof off, and put a new room in its place. But check it out, the porch is still there. And instead of following the box shape of the house, the new room is bigger, keeping that cool porch cover look.

Redd's Building Guide J5w50p

We can also build out to the side. To the right side I’ll build another room on the ground floor, giving us a little more space. This one won’t go up to a second story, so I’ll put a roof on top of it.

Redd's Building Guide 9lbdl4

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about! That looks downright fancy! But we can do even more!

Rule 4: Always decorate your house!

Decoration isn’t just for the inside, it’s for the outside too! Add a bench out front, put down fences, plant flowers, put a tree nearby, make a well. Chimnies and balconies are great additions as well!

Redd's Building Guide B8oln9

See the difference?

Be sure to decorate the inside too! The inside of my house is pretty plain right now, but I’m sure you guys can do that yourselves without my help. I’ve already seen that you guys are pretty sweet interior decorators.

Here are the results!

Would you rather this?

Or this?

Redd's Building Guide Zyj410

You see? That’s much better than a bloody box. This is what happens when you branch out and make a real house. Our server has a medevial theme, so let’s stick to that, work very hard, and make it look great!

Of course, to do that we need to follow the most important rule of all….

EPIC RULE OF WIN WAFFLES AND OSSUM SAUCE: MAKE A PLAN!!

You guys are probably sick of me saying this, but you HAVE to plan out your structures before you build them. Doing otherwise leaves so much room for error that in the end, planning will save you time and give you better results than if you had just “eyeballed” it.

To plan a structure, get some drawing tools. Pencil and paper is great. Pencil and graph paper is fantastic. You can also plan things out using Photoshop or even MS Paint. Just make a grid and fill in the squares with the Paint Bucket tool.

Redd's Building Guide 2qdy1ix

In the future I may make a tutorial for Photoshop and/or MS paint showing how you can do your own computerized blueprints for you Minecraft structures. However, right now you get the idea.

And by the way, did you think I built that house without a plan? No. Here are the plans I drew up before starting:

Redd's Building Guide 34jf9mg

And that’s how you build a house, the Redd Way. Our new Server needs builders that can do this quality work. We need our structures in all our cities in this whole server to look as good as this. No boxes, no single materials, no plain flatland or boring interiors. Probably more important than anything is to WORK HARD! Don’t be a lazy builder! Put that extra effort into it, and make your homes and cities the best they can be!

Cheers!

~Cap’n Adrian Redd pirat

AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Redd's Building Guide Empty Re: Redd's Building Guide

Post  Littlemoomoo 2011-01-16, 7:00 pm

This is epically amazing, sadly, I still have no creative ability. Sad
Littlemoomoo
Littlemoomoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-01-16, 7:05 pm

i like the 1st one, its enough for pvp Very Happy
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  Soto_Black 2011-01-16, 7:06 pm

Habit wrote:i like the 1st one, its enough for pvp Very Happy

Yes, but pvp is only a fraction of the whole game. I think this is awesome.

I am going to sticky this for future players to read.
Soto_Black
Soto_Black

Back to top Go down

Post  Hazzy 2011-01-16, 7:07 pm

Awesome post. Back this up incase of a forum error. Please. ;_;

Maybe include it in the Rules. "NO UGLY BUILDINGS".
Hazzy
Hazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-01-16, 7:09 pm

Nice tutorial! Very Happy

I especially suck at creating roofs for buildings. =/
Got a tutorial for variation in roofs?
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd 2011-01-16, 7:14 pm

Great post. Hopefully people will think a bit before they build.

AdrianRedd wrote:Our server has a medevial theme, so let’s stick to that, work very hard, and make it look great!

Can anyone offer some suggestions for how we can stick to this theme? Just some possible building techniques?
CornNerd
CornNerd

http://thehobbyfinder.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-01-16, 8:06 pm

if someone needs tips to built a beatiful wall, pm me! im pro
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-01-16, 8:07 pm

There's not really an incentive to something nice outside of a town because it's very indiscreet and will probably get burned down.
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd 2011-01-16, 8:39 pm

Sevyn wrote:There's not really an incentive to something nice outside of a town because it's very indiscreet and will probably get burned down.

That's why we have to weed out the bad eggs in the community. Maybe one day we will be able to build things without having to worry about it being severely griefed. Unfortunately, a lot of griefing has to take place before that can happen.
CornNerd
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-01-16, 8:47 pm

CornNerd wrote:
AdrianRedd wrote:Our server has a medevial theme, so let’s stick to that, work very hard, and make it look great!

Can anyone offer some suggestions for how we can stick to this theme? Just some possible building techniques?

By destroying Brick, or releasing a Vanilla pack for the server with a different colored/designed Medieval looking brick. Wink
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd 2011-01-16, 9:53 pm

Blind_Merc wrote:
CornNerd wrote:

By destroying Brick, or releasing a Vanilla pack for the server with a different colored/designed Medieval looking brick. Wink

I was thinking more like these:

Columns, piers, arcades, merlons, jettying.

Some things we all might consider utilizing in some of our architecture.
CornNerd
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-16, 9:58 pm

JETTYING!!!! ALWAYS!!!!!! >8O
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Toren 2011-01-16, 10:13 pm

Great guide, very descriptive and helpful.

Toren
Toren

Back to top Go down

Post  Clinthor 2011-01-17, 12:15 am

Blind_Merc wrote:Nice tutorial! Very Happy

I especially suck at creating roofs for buildings. =/
Got a tutorial for variation in roofs?

here is a method i use for making steeper looking roofs, you have to make the roof an uneven number across or it wont come to a point

Redd's Building Guide 2011-01-10_215406

Clinthor
Clinthor

Back to top Go down

Post  h0witzer 2011-01-17, 12:49 am

Sevyn wrote:There's not really an incentive to something nice outside of a town because it's very indiscreet and will probably get burned down.
If certain areas were protected by towny or cuboid and functioned as safe-zones during the night then there'd be an incentive to make them not look like crap. Then there would be something interesting besides the three (two? four?) faction headquarters and the spawn to look at.
h0witzer

Back to top Go down

Post  skeletonboy 2011-01-17, 9:57 am

This guide made me happy.
skeletonboy
skeletonboy

Back to top Go down

Post  BrynHavoc 2011-01-17, 3:38 pm

AdrianRedd = Fucking bad ass

Good guide. I'm a shitty builder, I've been practicing in single player but I don't just build boxes.
BrynHavoc
BrynHavoc

http://thesideplot.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke17 2011-01-18, 5:52 pm

AdrianRedd wrote:
=====Redd’s Guide to Building Houses=====

ARRR!!!! Hallo fellow Minecrafters and Kingdom Dwellers. This is my guide to helping YOU, the people that make this server amazing, build equally amazing houses! We have cities to build, and it’s high time we stopped slapping them together as fast as we can. It’s time we seriously took time and effort to really plan out our buildings, and make our cities not only functional, but beautiful.

What do I mean by that? Well….

THIS is what I see all the time.

Apparently a suitable living space is something that is basically a big box. Stick a sign on the door that says “BOB’S SUPER HOUSE” and apparently it’s the coolest house you could have. And why not? It took time to gather those materials, make the walls. So what if you didn’t take time to build a roof, you made SOMETHING.

I know it might seem like an exaggeration, but I have seen buildings like this in the Kingdoms, and many other servers. It seems like so long as it’s big, has lots of space and is super easy to build, it’s a decent building. I disagree.

Ok, first rule.

Rule 1: Always use more than one material.

Let’s mix Planks, Cobble, and Logs together. I like to put cobble on the bottom for the floor, and logs on the corners. The results are instantly more appealing. That cow certainly looks impressed!

Redd's Building Guide N155ap

Still needs a little something. Howabout glass, half stone, and cobble stairs? Let’s make a roof out of cobble stairs, and use half stone for the front step instead of those cobble blocks. Glass windows aren’t my favorite, but they’ll do for this illustration.

Redd's Building Guide A4bzte

There, now that looks a lot better! However, while the textures look super sweet, it’s still just a box with a roof slapped on it. As fancy as it is, let’s try adding DIMENSION!

Rule 2: Always think outside the “box”.

That means get outside of a box shape and add some dimension to it. See our roof? I think it can look better. It’s kind of just sitting there looking…. roofy. Let’s pull it out and break the plane of the box. We can pull it forward, adding a nice cover for our porch. Using fences I can add support for the roof, and make a nice porch area.

Redd's Building Guide 14k85md

See? Isn’t that more interesting looking? Now, let’s get really crazy…..

Rule 3: Always build a house with more than four sides.

Our house is still a little boxy looking, so let’s try and change that. Let’s add a new story! I’ll take the roof off, and put a new room in its place. But check it out, the porch is still there. And instead of following the box shape of the house, the new room is bigger, keeping that cool porch cover look.

Redd's Building Guide J5w50p

We can also build out to the side. To the right side I’ll build another room on the ground floor, giving us a little more space. This one won’t go up to a second story, so I’ll put a roof on top of it.

Redd's Building Guide 9lbdl4

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about! That looks downright fancy! But we can do even more!

Rule 4: Always decorate your house!

Decoration isn’t just for the inside, it’s for the outside too! Add a bench out front, put down fences, plant flowers, put a tree nearby, make a well. Chimnies and balconies are great additions as well!

Redd's Building Guide B8oln9

See the difference?

Be sure to decorate the inside too! The inside of my house is pretty plain right now, but I’m sure you guys can do that yourselves without my help. I’ve already seen that you guys are pretty sweet interior decorators.

Here are the results!

Would you rather this?

Or this?

Redd's Building Guide Zyj410

You see? That’s much better than a bloody box. This is what happens when you branch out and make a real house. Our server has a medevial theme, so let’s stick to that, work very hard, and make it look great!

Of course, to do that we need to follow the most important rule of all….

EPIC RULE OF WIN WAFFLES AND OSSUM SAUCE: MAKE A PLAN!!

You guys are probably sick of me saying this, but you HAVE to plan out your structures before you build them. Doing otherwise leaves so much room for error that in the end, planning will save you time and give you better results than if you had just “eyeballed” it.

To plan a structure, get some drawing tools. Pencil and paper is great. Pencil and graph paper is fantastic. You can also plan things out using Photoshop or even MS Paint. Just make a grid and fill in the squares with the Paint Bucket tool.

Redd's Building Guide 2qdy1ix

In the future I may make a tutorial for Photoshop and/or MS paint showing how you can do your own computerized blueprints for you Minecraft structures. However, right now you get the idea.

And by the way, did you think I built that house without a plan? No. Here are the plans I drew up before starting:

Redd's Building Guide 34jf9mg

And that’s how you build a house, the Redd Way. Our new Server needs builders that can do this quality work. We need our structures in all our cities in this whole server to look as good as this. No boxes, no single materials, no plain flatland or boring interiors. Probably more important than anything is to WORK HARD! Don’t be a lazy builder! Put that extra effort into it, and make your homes and cities the best they can be!

Cheers!

~Cap’n Adrian Redd pirat

I completly agree with everything said in this post I spend most of my day in school with a maths copy making minecraft plans Smile
Luke17
Luke17

Back to top Go down

Post  Omni123 2011-01-18, 6:05 pm

I made a pretty hardcore house. I'll post pictures when I get some.
Omni123

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke17 2011-01-20, 1:47 am

A Outside shot of my Cottage I made using redds rules and textures (well nearly all the rules) Very Happy

Redd's Building Guide 2011-010

An inside view of my Cottage which is nice and cosy Razz (click image to see it larger)

Redd's Building Guide 2011-011

Then a closer shot of my house from the left of the door.

Redd's Building Guide 2011-012
Luke17
Luke17

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulcom 2011-01-20, 6:02 am

For some reason, this reminds me of Animal Crossing. XD
Soulcom
Soulcom

Back to top Go down

Post  derekiv 2011-01-20, 7:00 am

Why no fire in the chimeny?
derekiv
derekiv

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke17 2011-01-20, 9:29 am

derekiv wrote:Why no fire in the chimeny?

The fire doesn't come out of the top of the chimney if thats what you mean and the chimney is a good place for two forges so i didn't put fire down there.
Luke17
Luke17

Back to top Go down

Post  derekiv 2011-01-20, 4:51 pm

Ah, okay.
derekiv
derekiv

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content