The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GRIEFING, GAME MECHANIC ABUSE, EXCESSIVE BUILDING RULES

+10
Hazzy
KhaosLeper
h0witzer
AdrianRedd
mtheoryninja
Roflbeeb
hankypanky7
Blind_Merc
Sevyn
coqri
14 posters

Go down

GRIEFING, GAME MECHANIC ABUSE, EXCESSIVE BUILDING RULES Empty GRIEFING, GAME MECHANIC ABUSE, EXCESSIVE BUILDING RULES

Post  coqri 2011-01-10, 9:45 pm

RULES.
You must read these to join.

GRIEFING

We have a simple philosophy that defines what griefing is on our server. Common sense coupled with respect for your fellow players will usually keep you from having to question whether, or not something you did could be considered griefing. Below is our definition.

Griefing: Any action taken by a player to reduce another player's gaming experience without any DIRECT in-game benefit. "DIRECT" meaning that the player must benefit from the action even if he might never have another interaction with that player.

Not Okay:
Lava griefing a base might benefit a player because it forces another player to spend precious time to fix it, or find another base. However, it does not DIRECTLY benefit the other player because his action could very well make no difference if he has no other interactions with this player.

Okay:
Destroying a vagabond's home that is too close to your kingdom, because this player is using it as an outpost for raiding you. Even if no other interaction is taken between the players, their base is still a threat to the nearby kingdom. Destroying the base will directly benefit the kingdom. Please type: “I will not grief” in your application after reading this.

Abusing Game Mechanics or Glitches

A subset of griefing is game mechanic, or glitch abuse.
Game mechanic or glitch abuse: taking advantage of game mechanics or glitches taken by a player to reduce another player's gaming experience without any DIRECT in-game benefit. "DIRECT" meaning that the player must benefit from the action even if he might never have another interaction with that player.

Not Okay:
A player builds around another so that they are stuck inside an enclosure. The player stuck could dig themselves out, but this would still be considered abuse of game mechanics because of the lack of direct in-game benefit to the player who built the structure.

Okay:
Setting a trap to protect your place of residence from raiders and looters. You cannot set traps for griefing purposes. If the trap you set is not seen as protection of your place of residence, then it will be considered abuse of game mechanics.

Unnecessary and/or Excessive Building

The same philosophy applies to building in this server.
Unnecessary and/or Excessive Building: a building made by a player to reduce another player's gaming experience without any DIRECT in-game benefit. “Game experience” in this case referring to the way the game looks and the atmosphere projected. “Direct” meaning that the player must benefit from the action even if he might never have another interaction with that player.

Okay:
Building an inn that could accommodate everyone that lives in your kingdom. This could potentially be a large structure, but it would have a purpose.

Not okay:
Building 1x1 towers (for any reason), or building a tower that goes so far into the clouds it is not even plausible as a helpful vantage point. Please type “I will not build excessively, or abuse mechanics” in your application after reading this.
coqri
coqri
Admin

Back to top Go down

GRIEFING, GAME MECHANIC ABUSE, EXCESSIVE BUILDING RULES Empty Re: GRIEFING, GAME MECHANIC ABUSE, EXCESSIVE BUILDING RULES

Post  Sevyn 2011-01-10, 9:47 pm

Love these new rules Smile
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

GRIEFING, GAME MECHANIC ABUSE, EXCESSIVE BUILDING RULES Empty Re: GRIEFING, GAME MECHANIC ABUSE, EXCESSIVE BUILDING RULES

Post  coqri 2011-01-10, 9:52 pm

There are more coming!

It's all due to EVERYONE'S amazing input!
coqri
coqri
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-01-10, 9:54 pm

coqri wrote:There are more coming!

It's all due to EVERYONE'S amazing input!

I love everyone then. Including you coqri :3

inb4 Soto sees what I did there and punches me from across a state

Last edited by Sevyn on 2011-01-10, 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  coqri 2011-01-10, 10:21 pm

Sevyn wrote:I love everyone then. Including you coqri :3

inb4 Soto sees what I did there and punches me from across a state

Hahaha! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
coqri
coqri
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-01-10, 10:40 pm

I'll make you sandwiches <3

Though I'm not sure they would still be edible after a few days in FedEx. :3
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  coqri 2011-01-10, 10:48 pm

Oohhh my gosh hahaha.

I'm probably going to get rid of these comments, but they're hilarious!
coqri
coqri
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-01-11, 12:10 am

Sevyn wrote:I'll make you sandwiches <3

Not to spam or anything but...

OMG MAKE ME A SANDWICH! Very Happy
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  hankypanky7 2011-01-11, 1:15 am

Love these rules!

I like the very descriptive examples. My suggestion would be to constantly update this from example to example (if that's not what you've already planned). If it's a griefing issue not addressed in an example and it is ruled upon, toss it in as another example. Lessens the chance of people pulling the "I didn't know" excuse Razz
hankypanky7

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-01-11, 8:23 am

Since I don't really have an application at the moment:
“I will not build excessively, or abuse mechanics”

Also, a sandwich sounds good. I'm hungry Very Happy Do you have bacon sandwiches?
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  mtheoryninja 2011-01-11, 8:36 am

Question: Is destroying someone's base for the raw materials okay or not okay? Now obviously mining away smooth stone, cobblestone, or dirt would be griefing because of how easy it is to gather those materials otherwise, but what about a house made of wood? Or of obsidian? Half-step? You get the idea.

Under the current rules, destroying a person's base for the obsidian, half-step, etc would be legal because it directly benefits the player (they gain items), but is this your intention?

Well that's all I have. These look pretty good; good job, coqri!
mtheoryninja

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-11, 11:26 am

Ninja, that's definitely griefing. Collecting materials from an opponent's base is a very VERY poor excuse to break down all their stuff. If you were to just walk into my base and tear down my ship because you're running a little short on WOOD, then I'd kill you and get you banned for griefing. There's not happy little gray area for people here. There is simply no excuse for causing extensive damage to a person's base.
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mtheoryninja 2011-01-12, 9:20 am

I was merely taking the question from the MMORPG server where actions like that are allowed. Also, under the current rules, it is not considered griefing because it results in direct benefit for the one taking the materials.

So Coqri, I would suggest adding this little addendum to the rules to clarify this point.
mtheoryninja

Back to top Go down

Post  h0witzer 2011-01-12, 1:17 pm

Is building a massive wall that is 40 blocks high and three to five blocks thick excessive? Personally I don't think it is, and that Habit is just a wee bit insane for doing it...
h0witzer

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-12, 1:59 pm

Yeah, that might be a bit much, but there's no rule against it currently. However, this is not a freebuild server. Some things shouldn't be built, like things with a lot of "technology" so to speak.
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  mtheoryninja 2011-01-29, 9:30 am

I'd like to point out I think "destroying any part of a tree without removing the rest of the tree" should be added to the list of things considered griefing. This tree stuff makes the world look tacky, and those who do it should be punished according to the rules for any other griefing.
mtheoryninja

Back to top Go down

Post  KhaosLeper 2011-02-02, 2:03 pm

I'm not sure if this is really mechanic abuse but I had someone break a hole in my wall by standing right out where towny says it is wilderness. This allowed them to break the blocks while ignoring the towny protection.
KhaosLeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Hazzy 2011-02-02, 2:21 pm

KhaosLeper wrote:I'm not sure if this is really mechanic abuse but I had someone break a hole in my wall by standing right out where towny says it is wilderness. This allowed them to break the blocks while ignoring the towny protection.

This is an ancient bug. The only way to really counter it is to leave a 4 block border of protected blocks on your structures.
Hazzy
Hazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  KhaosLeper 2011-02-02, 8:51 pm

It may be an ancient bug but it still doesn't mean that it isn't a abusing such a bug.
KhaosLeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-02-08, 7:36 am

KhaosLeper wrote:It may be an ancient bug but it still doesn't mean that it isn't a abusing such a bug.
i talked to chivers about that when i got acused to abuse gamemechanics by destroying a townblock and openening the chest while the block was "gone".
pointed out thats pretty the same. he told me than that we all know about it and everyone does it so its legit
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  skeletonboy 2011-02-08, 11:42 am

Just because everyone knows about it doesnt stop it being abusing game mechanics.
skeletonboy
skeletonboy

Back to top Go down

GRIEFING, GAME MECHANIC ABUSE, EXCESSIVE BUILDING RULES Empty Reapply?

Post  joilpot 2011-02-23, 8:07 pm

Do the people who were on before 1.3 have to reapply?
joilpot

Back to top Go down

Post  Boshiwukins 2011-02-23, 8:12 pm

GRIEFING, GAME MECHANIC ABUSE, EXCESSIVE BUILDING RULES No_bmp10

I gathered all my friends to do this at 8 P.M. Its quite light for that time isnt it.

Of course I didn't make this though.
Boshiwukins
Boshiwukins

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down