The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plans for a new spawn area

+17
CornNerd
Diabloz
Littlemoomoo
Hazzy
sonkiro
derekiv
Roflbeeb
draco222
Soto_Black
Clinthor
igortv123
Raijouta
Toren
AdrianRedd
Chuint
Blind_Merc
Sevyn
21 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Plans for a new spawn area  - Page 3 Empty Re: Plans for a new spawn area

Post  Clinthor 2011-01-14, 10:11 pm

Sevyn wrote:GEEZUS! This is going to be the largest project I have ever seen on Minecraft. This will take a colossal effort.
But if the Egyptians can build the pyramids without a weightless inventory, we can do it.

Could we start on it while the Rollback server is still up and ask Soto to port it over when the reset arrives?
That way we have more resources to start out with. We won't have a massive shaft to the center of the earth in our shiny new map then!

you say that, but you would be supprised, i was working on a similar city perty much by myself, and i've proboly got it nearly to a quarter of that size already.
Clinthor
Clinthor

Back to top Go down

Post  derekiv 2011-01-15, 11:51 am

I love it! I want to help build Very Happy
derekiv
derekiv

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-15, 12:38 pm

Plans for the market stalls.

The Map shows 5x5, 5x6, and 5x7 stalls. The canopy in the picture is for the 5x7. For a 5x6 stall, the same design is applied, just with one less row of cloth. All the stalls face the street. There's enough room in each stall for a man to sell his wares for a day. All he has to do is lock the door behind him, and generally no one should be able to steal from him if he's careful.

Plans for a new spawn area  - Page 3 Vyqsua
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sonkiro 2011-01-15, 1:50 pm

im experienced in building spawn towns and jails.

http://sonkiro.imgur.com/into_the_prison
http://sonkiro.imgur.com/the_land_of_karmalot

almost everything you see i built by hand . some use of mcedit was used when the map crashed ..
sonkiro
sonkiro

Back to top Go down

Post  Toren 2011-01-15, 2:17 pm

AdrianRedd wrote:Here we go. All I have to do now is label everything, but I think you get the idea.

The gray buildings are the Bank, Jail, Inn, Guild Hall, and the two Kingdom Embassies. The ship acts as the third embassy. The northern part is the market, with all the colored canvas tops of the shop stalls. There's trees, message boards, houses, wells, and a lighthouse.

Post up things I should add, and whatever else. Comments are appreciated, and I need feedback on anything else you want in Spawn Town!

CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE. SAVE IT TO YOUR COMP!! Very Happy
Plans for a new spawn area  - Page 3 2ppn8et

And yes. It's humongous.

Awesome.

Maybe for the buildings you can have a blacksmith, a mill, and maybe some other unique buildings.
Toren
Toren

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-15, 2:23 pm

Blacksmith is a good idea, we can convert one of the buildings for that.

Also, in terms of protection, all residents will be able to open chests and doors, but they won't be able to break anything or build anything. If they want to decorate their home, they'll have to hire a guild member. And if they want to keep their things safe they'll have to store it at the bank. So living in spawn town won't be free, but it's the only place in the world where you are safe from dying.
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-01-15, 2:52 pm

The stalls look so much better than a wall full of signs ^^
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Hazzy 2011-01-15, 3:19 pm

Are the stalls designed to work with /shop or sign shops? It would work nicely for signs, but /shop uses a much larger area.

Aside from that, I love the design. What are the dimensions of the city walls?
Hazzy
Hazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlemoomoo 2011-01-15, 3:29 pm

All big towns have sewers Very Happy...Fill em with creepy crawlies
Littlemoomoo
Littlemoomoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Diabloz 2011-01-15, 3:32 pm

maybe you could make it smaller?, the idea is pretty good but i think most ppl are going to be busy in their kingdom and would probably be a ghost town within a week or 2, i mean looks pretty sweet, just saying who is going to be maintaining this place?
like in the last server, no1 used the sherifs office or the hotels near by, or the restaurant and it looked like some type of old ruins.
Diabloz
Diabloz
Smart People's Club
Smart People's Club

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd 2011-01-15, 4:07 pm

Diabloz wrote:maybe you could make it smaller?, the idea is pretty good but i think most ppl are going to be busy in their kingdom and would probably be a ghost town within a week or 2, i mean looks pretty sweet, just saying who is going to be maintaining this place?
like in the last server, no1 used the sherifs office or the hotels near by, or the restaurant and it looked like some type of old ruins.

Diabloz kind of has a point. Unless certain buildings (inns, restaurants) have have a practical use, they will most likely just serve for aesthetics. Unless players really get into the role-playing, I don't think too many of them will be sitting down for a meal. Not that there is anything wrong with nice aesthetics. Smile
CornNerd
CornNerd

http://thehobbyfinder.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-15, 4:12 pm

Hazzy wrote:Are the stalls designed to work with /shop or sign shops? It would work nicely for signs, but /shop uses a much larger area.

Aside from that, I love the design. What are the dimensions of the city walls?

The stalls are designed to be manned by a shopkeeper. They are not made to work with Iconomy or any such thing, but they are there for Role Playing in a busy market. It'll take some participation. That means no lazy dolts pasting up a sign with the price and getting their money wirelessly. I want to be able to haggle with a shop keeper, not a sign.

The size of the walls? I dunno, wanna count them for me?

Grunt wrote:All big towns have sewers Very Happy ...Fill em with creepy crawlies

While that sounds ridiculously fun and exciting, I want people to have basements. Also, having monsters underfoot would probably be really annoying.

Diabloz wrote:maybe you could make it smaller?, the idea is pretty good but i think most ppl are going to be busy in their kingdom and would probably be a ghost town within a week or 2, i mean looks pretty sweet, just saying who is going to be maintaining this place?

I plan on making the Spawn Town the central hub of activity on the server. The mods will live there, the kingdoms will trade there, newcomers will stay at the Inn while they decide there they want to live, and there will be dedicated guilds in town building, selling, and working. Don't worry, it will always have people in it, even if there aren't always enough to fill every house. In the end it will look impressive, and function well as the server grows. I didn't make it for the current population, I needed to compensate for further growth down the line.

The reason people didn't use those things was because the people that built them weren't dedicated to role playing the role of shopkeepers, sherrifs, and bartenders. It's important that the Role Playing element of the server is upheld and enforced. That means find a persona, and get in character. Be a farmer, an adventurer, a pirate, a merchant, a nomad, a thief, anything you want. Just so long as people actually role play, the server will work as intended. If not, then they don't belong in the server.

AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-15, 4:14 pm

CornNerd wrote:

Diabloz kind of has a point. Unless certain buildings (inns, restaurants) have have a practical use, they will most likely just serve for aesthetics. Unless players really get into the role-playing, I don't think too many of them will be sitting down for a meal. Not that there is anything wrong with nice aesthetics. Smile

Indeed. So are you saying you'll support us by role playing and being a part of the city and the world? Oh good, I'm glad. We need more so that our buildings don't just become "aesthetics" Smile If the economy works as intended, the only way you'll be able to buy cooked bacon is straight from a stall or a restaurant. If people want to play those roles, then the server will work. If they don't, and just run around doing whatever willy nilly, then the server won't work. It's their choice.
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hazzy 2011-01-15, 4:18 pm

AdrianRedd wrote:The stalls are designed to be manned by a shopkeeper. They are not made to work with Iconomy or any such thing, but they are there for Role Playing in a busy market. It'll take some participation. That means no lazy dolts pasting up a sign with the price and getting their money wirelessly. I want to be able to haggle with a shop keeper, not a sign.

The size of the walls? I dunno, wanna count them for me?

Having that kind of flexible and lively economy sounds nice, but I have two major concerns.

1. Scamming is much easier
  2. This kind of system only works well when there are a lot of people online. I have concerns about how well populated the place will be for active merchants to thrive.
Hazzy
Hazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-15, 4:29 pm

I decided to dream big, and idealistically. Yes scamming will be easier, but hopefully a Wizard will be online at all times. And that means he'll be able to plop that stupid scamming merchant right into the jail. Ta da.

As the server grows we can hope that there will be lots of people online, all the time. And we can hope that they play by the rules. And we can hope we have enough moderators. And we can hope that people take the time to role play and act out roles in the community for everyone's benefit.

Of course, the only way we'll be able to stop hoping and start seeing this stuff actually happen is if YOU make an example of yourself, and do these things as best you can. Role play, be a part of the community. The better we do that, the more people will come, and the city will fill up faster than you can imagine. But it takes a lot of effort, and I'm not going to be the only one doing this am I?
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  derekiv 2011-01-15, 5:45 pm

As for the sewers: You can put them underneath the road. No one's going to build a basement underneath the road.
derekiv
derekiv

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-01-15, 6:06 pm

Grunt wrote:All big towns have sewers Very Happy...Fill em with creepy crawlies

I wish every Kingdom had sewers. Just wish there was either a trap door or a trap door mod at the minimum. Would be a great way to sneak into the kingdoms/hideout or even start a bandit base down there. Very Happy
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-01-15, 7:27 pm

Plans for a new spawn area  - Page 3 799px-10

One day our city shall be as great as this one . . .
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  h0witzer 2011-01-15, 7:38 pm

In a square sort of fashion, yeah that would be awesome.
h0witzer

Back to top Go down

Post  h0witzer 2011-01-15, 7:43 pm

In sticking with Adrian's idea of giving each faction an identity instead of a bunch of cobble walled castles, I say each faction picks out three colors of wool they want to use to represent themselves and make their roofs and trim out of those colors. Or the lack of wool entirely, but who could resist those pastel colors?
h0witzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-01-15, 7:55 pm

Not sure if colorful roofs will look the best every were. Yet It would be good to fill towns and parts of walls etc with they faction color. Tho how about each faction picks the one color that they're font color is?
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

Back to top Go down

Post  h0witzer 2011-01-15, 8:06 pm

Or perhaps an emblem or pattern that they could use on their most important buildings. The pirates could very easily put a jolly roger in their sails or make a black and red striped sail. I'm a little biased towards colored roofs I guess. They just look so great in my forest hideaway.
h0witzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-01-18, 6:05 pm

Example of a GREAT spawn area. Chaos server's

Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Dementor 2011-01-18, 7:04 pm

Things that me MUST have in the spawn:
Noob Guide
Forest
Shop
Fountain Very Happy
RULES
PvP Off Very Happy
Dementor
Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-01-18, 8:22 pm

Demenotor wrote:Things that me MUST have in the spawn:
Noob Guide
Forest
Shop
Fountain Very Happy
RULES
PvP Off Very Happy

Thats pretty well already been planned.

Why would you have a forest IN the spawn?
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next