The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Levels Mod

+19
rhino600
Applebeard
T3hHippie
Littlemoomoo
Falzz
ballnazor
igortv123
ivanelk
Roflbeeb
Habit
KhaosLeper
Luke17
HunterE30633
Blind_Merc
draco222
Transfatninja
MaxxOverdrive
MrSpoon
RevolutionBeginz
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What do You think of Levels mod?

Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 7 ]
Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 6 ]
Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 4 ]
Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_lcap18%Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 7 ]
Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_lcap38%Levels Mod - Page 2 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 39

Levels Mod - Page 2 Empty Re: Levels Mod

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-03-11, 8:18 pm

Yeah, I suck at Starcraft II. I was way better in Starcraft 1.
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  KhaosLeper 2011-03-11, 9:40 pm

I seriously just don't even want to play with the mod the way it is. I can't do a damn thing unless I sit around and grind for hours. If I wanted to grind for levels I'd reactivate my WoW account. Minecraft is my way of relaxing and this takes that away from me.

I'm really considering quitting because of this thing. At least until Societies and stuff is completely finished.
KhaosLeper

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanelk 2011-03-11, 10:13 pm

KhaosLeper wrote:I seriously just don't even want to play with the mod the way it is. I can't do a damn thing unless I sit around and grind for hours. If I wanted to grind for levels I'd reactivate my WoW account. Minecraft is my way of relaxing and this takes that away from me.

I'm really considering quitting because of this thing. At least until Societies and stuff is completely finished.
Its one of the reasons I have been inactive, it is too much of a pain in the ass to get to use anything.
ivanelk

Back to top Go down

Post  igortv123 2011-03-11, 10:23 pm

ivanelk wrote:
KhaosLeper wrote:I seriously just don't even want to play with the mod the way it is. I can't do a damn thing unless I sit around and grind for hours. If I wanted to grind for levels I'd reactivate my WoW account. Minecraft is my way of relaxing and this takes that away from me.

Its one of the reasons I have been inactive, it is too much of a pain in the ass to get to use anything.
This.
igortv123
igortv123

Back to top Go down

Post  ballnazor 2011-03-12, 9:12 am

Oh god remove this, I want to play minecraft not fucking runescape
ballnazor

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-03-12, 9:14 am

Pretty large negative response; remove this completely or use MCMMO instead. In that one you got to use all equips and the only incentive for leveling up is bonuses (double drop, etc).
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Falzz 2011-03-12, 3:03 pm

Originally voted for "its ok" but now I'm for "HATE IT"

Too many negatives to it. I'm with Rolf, get rid of it or if we MUST have a level system, do MCMMO...
Falzz
Falzz

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlemoomoo 2011-03-12, 7:56 pm

I honestly like this leveling system, although at some times it can be frusterating to have to spend time to level up your skills in order to mine a certain block, but as Revolutionary said, it does give people jobs to do, and it does help with the role playing aspect.
Littlemoomoo
Littlemoomoo

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-03-12, 8:00 pm

Littlemoomoo wrote:I honestly like this leveling system, although at some times it can be frusterating to have to spend time to level up your skills in order to mine a certain block, but as Revolutionary said, it does give people jobs to do, and it does help with the role playing aspect.
'
HA! I knew you were a mod!
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  KhaosLeper 2011-03-12, 8:20 pm

Littlemoomoo wrote:I honestly like this leveling system, although at some times it can be frusterating to have to spend time to level up your skills in order to mine a certain block, but as Revolutionary said, it does give people jobs to do, and it does help with the role playing aspect.

Thats like saying running around on WoW is roleplaying. In no real roleplay will you hear or see someone say: "Woot I fucking leveled up my ability to use tools. I can now use this tool that I've known how to craft for three years now, even though it is oddly similar to my old one."

Leveling up like this is not roleplay, now getting rewards from hard work (ex MCMMO) makes sense. If you've mined a shit ton of iron there is a chance to where you can mine just right and extra resources from it. That makes logical sense.

I am serious though, if I have to continue to grind for levels I will go play somewhere else. This is plain out annoying and takes away the beauty of playing a sandbox game. I'm hoping the others against Levelcraft would agree with this, if not I will quit on my own.

EDIT: I should add, I don't want to leave. I love The Kingdoms and this community but things will be how they will be.
KhaosLeper

Back to top Go down

Post  KhaosLeper 2011-03-12, 10:13 pm

Alright, I got Chivers to turn off the Levelcraft mod
KhaosLeper

Back to top Go down

Post  T3hHippie 2011-03-13, 12:42 am

I don't understand why we can't get mcMMO. I believe it is updated to its current version. Check here: http://tinyurl.com/4ey46wf
T3hHippie
T3hHippie

Back to top Go down

Post  MrSpoon 2011-03-13, 12:48 pm

so i wasted about half an hour punching people min the spawn to get up fisticufs for nothing?!? awww maaaaan
well atleast that heethen mod is gone Very Happy
MrSpoon
MrSpoon

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-03-13, 5:25 pm

Do wish I could get that old mod for single-player tho, mixed in with mcMMO to get some benefits. Very Happy
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Applebeard 2011-03-14, 9:45 am

HunterE30633 wrote:My original idea of a skill system was to limit your ability to use tools and such. As you progress through levels, you would unlock the ability to use stone picks and such for mining. You also wouldn't be able to mine diamond until a certain level. That would increase the value of items and make skills a little more than just "useful"

There would of course be bonuses and such, like double drops etc.

Transfatninja's main concern is he doesn't want to take away what you guys already have which is understandable. My main concern is to make sure that the economy and the systems run smoothly. I can't really make the decision because this isn't for me, so what do you guys want? A skill system where you just do what you already do, or a system where you have to take more time to level your way up?
have you seen the thread i wrote a while back on this, i think having levels is probably wrong, because then newbies are at a serious dissadvantage, but maybe having classes would be better, then newbies can choose a class to start with... anyways its all written in the thread.
Applebeard
Applebeard

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-03-14, 10:04 am

this is no pokemon, this is no wow, this is minecraft o_o
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  ballnazor 2011-03-14, 11:12 am

Habit wrote:this is no pokemon, this is no wow, this is minecraft o_o
No this is patrick
ballnazor

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-03-14, 2:05 pm

ballnazor wrote:
Habit wrote:this is no pokemon, this is no wow, this is minecraft o_o
No this is patrick

st patricks day? i knew it ballnazor!
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  Transfatninja 2011-03-14, 6:35 pm

My main question is, why is this so bad? I'm not supporting this mod, it's poorly designed, but I would just like to know why it's so disliked. Is it the fact that there's restrictions in general, that they don't make sense, or that they take away things that would've been available without the mod?

If we were to make a level mod that had restrictions to items, but only to brand new ones, would this be alright? Just so long as they make sense, mind you. Having each material of sword be restricted to level to use is a little odd, although having a restriction to create each material of sword is a little more reasonable. It'd take a skilled smith to create a sword out of a rare material, but a swordsman wouldn't have to be much more skilled to use a sword out of such a material (unless it's really heavy/on fire/magical/etc.), as it's not much different to use than any other sword. But if it's a greatsword for instance, the swordsman would have to be more skilled/stronger to use the larger weapon, so it'd make sense. There'd be benefits and drawbacks to a greatsword, of course, but it's an example of a logical restriction system.

On the topic of classes, I don't like them so much. To have static classes and keep the possibility of players to define their own roles, we're going to have to think of every conceivable variation and alignment of every single role to have such a thing. Want to be a Necromancer, but there's only Dark Mage of Destruction and Fire and Summoner of Fluffy Woodland Creatures? Unless you can multi-class, which pretty much makes a skill system more efficient after awhile, it's not really possible. Then what happens if you want to change classes? You only have one character, so a fixed class system wouldn't work as well as when multiple characters are available. One solution is to allow class changing, but then why would classes be special? See where I'm going?

In terms of balance, it's pretty much a given that noobies are at a disadvantage regardless of what system is in place. Starting out with no resources in a game where resources are key is already a serious disadvantage. A veteran in full diamond and an inv full of food can gank any noobie he comes across due to the resource gap that already happens. It's a big gap as it is now, so my job is really to keep this gap from growing much larger. Maybe we could have the ability for a skilled player to train a complete noobie in a skill to a certain point? That could help them get a foot up in the world, without being able to be abused by those that don't truly need the training. There would be a training lockout at a certain total level (sum of all skills, not used except for various calculations), so experienced players can't just boost a weak skill when they have many other higher skills. I believe that would be a good way to help noobies into the game and give them the chance to choose a role early on.

One last thing, sandbox games and RPGs aren't mutually exclusive, the Elder Scrolls series does a good job of this. In fact, it's pretty much what I'm basing the skill system off, with added balance for multiplayer and additional material. The last thing I want to do is make this into WoW... or Pokemon... Neutral
Transfatninja

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-03-14, 11:58 pm

Transfatninja wrote:My main question is, why is this so bad? I'm not supporting this mod, it's poorly designed, but I would just like to know why it's so disliked. Is it the fact that there's restrictions in general, that they don't make sense, or that they take away things that would've been available without the mod?

If we were to make a level mod that had restrictions to items, but only to brand new ones, would this be alright? Just so long as they make sense, mind you. Having each material of sword be restricted to level to use is a little odd, although having a restriction to create each material of sword is a little more reasonable. It'd take a skilled smith to create a sword out of a rare material, but a swordsman wouldn't have to be much more skilled to use a sword out of such a material (unless it's really heavy/on fire/magical/etc.), as it's not much different to use than any other sword. But if it's a greatsword for instance, the swordsman would have to be more skilled/stronger to use the larger weapon, so it'd make sense. There'd be benefits and drawbacks to a greatsword, of course, but it's an example of a logical restriction system.

On the topic of classes, I don't like them so much. To have static classes and keep the possibility of players to define their own roles, we're going to have to think of every conceivable variation and alignment of every single role to have such a thing. Want to be a Necromancer, but there's only Dark Mage of Destruction and Fire and Summoner of Fluffy Woodland Creatures? Unless you can multi-class, which pretty much makes a skill system more efficient after awhile, it's not really possible. Then what happens if you want to change classes? You only have one character, so a fixed class system wouldn't work as well as when multiple characters are available. One solution is to allow class changing, but then why would classes be special? See where I'm going?

In terms of balance, it's pretty much a given that noobies are at a disadvantage regardless of what system is in place. Starting out with no resources in a game where resources are key is already a serious disadvantage. A veteran in full diamond and an inv full of food can gank any noobie he comes across due to the resource gap that already happens. It's a big gap as it is now, so my job is really to keep this gap from growing much larger. Maybe we could have the ability for a skilled player to train a complete noobie in a skill to a certain point? That could help them get a foot up in the world, without being able to be abused by those that don't truly need the training. There would be a training lockout at a certain total level (sum of all skills, not used except for various calculations), so experienced players can't just boost a weak skill when they have many other higher skills. I believe that would be a good way to help noobies into the game and give them the chance to choose a role early on.

One last thing, sandbox games and RPGs aren't mutually exclusive, the Elder Scrolls series does a good job of this. In fact, it's pretty much what I'm basing the skill system off, with added balance for multiplayer and additional material. The last thing I want to do is make this into WoW... or Pokemon... Neutral

I'm working on a training area in Ebonheart, actually. It's main hall and basement are arenas for trainees to spar in, and even farther down a fenced off spawner, for live swordsmanship and archery training. That way, newbies can at least get their skills to a decent level before heading out, when exp gain slows. Hopefully, it'll slow enough for players to simply get bored with the training course, and move on to taking contracts and doing work, which will certainly be a more fun way to gain experience. Plus, if kingdoms begin adding training areas to their cities, it'd add a lot more variety to the buildings beyond housing.
Concerning the new material, If it's only one, give it an effect other than extra damage. Maybe a more durable Iron sword that grants an extra point of armor? Or, if you feel up to the challenge, you could make the new material as strong as Iron, with the bonus of being customizable with different crafting recipes. Adding netherrack to the sword would set it alight, and an Ice block would allow it to slow enemies. Lightstone would create a holy sword that inflicts double damage on undead mobs, and redstone would allow it to fire bolts of electricity at the cost of redstone dust. It would be very difficult to implement, I'm sure, but it'd be a fun high-level reward for smiths to forge and swordsmen to use.
Skill caps are also awesome. Have players be able to pay a large sum in spades to reset their skills (if possible), though. If someone winds up gimping themselves somehow, they should have an opportunity to get a fresh start on their skills.
Another note regarding skills, I think damage bonuses should be limited only to weapons that only do 1/2 heart of damage. Maybe perks like:

Hand-to-Hand (Gain EXP from hitting monsters, animals, and players, as well as breaking blocks barehanded*):
Skill 0: Bare hands act as normal. 1/2 heart of damage. Really more of a "shove" than a punch
Skill 10: Fist Damage is now 1 heart
Skill 25: Fist Damage is now 1.5 hearts, 10% chance of disarming players
Skill 50: Fist Damage from left clicking no longer knocks enemies backwards, giving the brawler the ability to "combo" punches together. He takes a defensive penalty for executing longer combos, as the defending player will stay in striking distance even when he's hit.
Skill 75: Right clicking with bare hands now executes a "combo finisher", which is simply a regular punch that does knockback
Skill 100: Fist Damage is now 2 hearts, Disarm chance increases to 15%; Bricks and planks break instantly when using bare hands, but do not drop blocks.

Axes (Gain EXP from hitting monsters, animals and players, and chopping blocks*):
Skill 0: Axes act as normal; Break logs faster, 1/2 heart damage
Skill 10: Axe Damage is now affected by material, as if the wielder were using a sword:
Wood: 2 hearts
Stone: 3 hearts
Iron: 4 hearts
Diamond: 5 hearts
*New Material*:????
Skill 25: Axes gain a 5% chance to ignore armor on players
Skill 50: Axe Damage increases by 1 heart
Skill 75: Armor negating chance increases to 10%
Skill 100: Axes instantly kill crouching players

*Breaking blocks would only give half experience

I could probably think up a whole skill list if I though about it more. I think I have a lot of good ideas for the skill system, I just hope they're not too hard to implement silent
MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  Transfatninja 2011-03-15, 12:54 am

MaxxOverdrive wrote:Concerning the new material, If it's only one, give it an effect other than extra damage. Maybe a more durable Iron sword that grants an extra point of armor? Or, if you feel up to the challenge, you could make the new material as strong as Iron, with the bonus of being customizable with different crafting recipes. Adding netherrack to the sword would set it alight, and an Ice block would allow it to slow enemies. Lightstone would create a holy sword that inflicts double damage on undead mobs, and redstone would allow it to fire bolts of electricity at the cost of redstone dust. It would be very difficult to implement, I'm sure, but it'd be a fun high-level reward for smiths to forge and swordsmen to use.

We were considering an enchantment system to be tied into a potential magic skill, as well as new materials, and those are some good ideas that use materials already in the game. Adding new content is currently possible, but it requires the client to install the mod, which might be a bit inconvienent. Thus most server mods are server side and command driven. We might be able to add new content, provided HunterE's up for it.
Perhaps using gunpowder could increase knockback (if such a thing is possible to modify)?

MaxxOverdrive wrote:Skill caps are also awesome. Have players be able to pay a large sum in spades to reset their skills (if possible), though. If someone winds up gimping themselves somehow, they should have an opportunity to get a fresh start on their skills.

We have planned a soft cap for the level system, something along the lines of Total level(sum of all skills) * (current skill level)^2 = exp to next skill level. As your total skills go up, it's harder and harder to gain a level in a skill, but lower skill levels are much easier than the upper levels to raise. With a skill level limit of 100, and 20 skills, for instance, maxing out the last skill requires ~20,000,00 exp; and that's just to go from level 99 to 100 on the last skill. Having any more skills would make it even harder to completely max out, should this equation be used. Therefore, maxing a character would be extremely difficult, but then there's the issue of grinding... pale

MaxxOverdrive wrote:Hand-to-Hand (Gain EXP from hitting monsters, animals, and players, as well as breaking blocks barehanded*):
Skill 0: Bare hands act as normal. 1/2 heart of damage. Really more of a "shove" than a punch
Skill 50: Fist Damage from left clicking no longer knocks enemies backwards, giving the brawler the ability to "combo" punches together. He takes a defensive penalty for executing longer combos, as the defending player will stay in striking distance even when he's hit.
Skill 75: Right clicking with bare hands now executes a "combo finisher", which is simply a regular punch that does knockback
Skill 100: Fist Damage is now 2 hearts, Disarm chance increases to 15%; Bricks and planks break instantly when using bare hands, but do not drop blocks.

Axes (Gain EXP from hitting monsters, animals and players, and chopping blocks*):
Skill 10: Axe Damage is now affected by material, as if the wielder were using a sword:

Hmm, interesting suggestions. Weaponizing the axes already in-game would add a different flavor of weapon without needing additional content. Maybe swords could gain the ability to parry attacks with a well timed right-click, thus being the finnesse to the axes' power. It might be possible...I'd have to check with hunterE...

Feel free to post/submit any more ideas on a skill system; this would be a major system that could change the entire dynamic of the server, so input is greatly encouraged!
Transfatninja

Back to top Go down

Post  Applebeard 2011-03-15, 6:07 am

Transfatninja wrote:
MaxxOverdrive wrote:Concerning the new material, If it's only one, give it an effect other than extra damage. Maybe a more durable Iron sword that grants an extra point of armor? Or, if you feel up to the challenge, you could make the new material as strong as Iron, with the bonus of being customizable with different crafting recipes. Adding netherrack to the sword would set it alight, and an Ice block would allow it to slow enemies. Lightstone would create a holy sword that inflicts double damage on undead mobs, and redstone would allow it to fire bolts of electricity at the cost of redstone dust. It would be very difficult to implement, I'm sure, but it'd be a fun high-level reward for smiths to forge and swordsmen to use.

We were considering an enchantment system to be tied into a potential magic skill, as well as new materials, and those are some good ideas that use materials already in the game. Adding new content is currently possible, but it requires the client to install the mod, which might be a bit inconvienent. Thus most server mods are server side and command driven. We might be able to add new content, provided HunterE's up for it.
Perhaps using gunpowder could increase knockback (if such a thing is possible to modify)?

MaxxOverdrive wrote:Skill caps are also awesome. Have players be able to pay a large sum in spades to reset their skills (if possible), though. If someone winds up gimping themselves somehow, they should have an opportunity to get a fresh start on their skills.

We have planned a soft cap for the level system, something along the lines of Total level(sum of all skills) * (current skill level)^2 = exp to next skill level. As your total skills go up, it's harder and harder to gain a level in a skill, but lower skill levels are much easier than the upper levels to raise. With a skill level limit of 100, and 20 skills, for instance, maxing out the last skill requires ~20,000,00 exp; and that's just to go from level 99 to 100 on the last skill. Having any more skills would make it even harder to completely max out, should this equation be used. Therefore, maxing a character would be extremely difficult, but then there's the issue of grinding... pale

MaxxOverdrive wrote:Hand-to-Hand (Gain EXP from hitting monsters, animals, and players, as well as breaking blocks barehanded*):

Hmm, interesting suggestions. Weaponizing the axes already in-game would add a different flavor of weapon without needing additional content. Maybe swords could gain the ability to parry attacks with a well timed right-click, thus being the finnesse to the axes' power. It might be possible...I'd have to check with hunterE...

Feel free to post/submit any more ideas on a skill system; this would be a major system that could change the entire dynamic of the server, so input is greatly encouraged!
@ Max: Yay, we may finally agree on this Very Happy
@ Ninja: mcMMO already has the axe thing and the sword thing (including the parry) so you could probably lift it from there.
Another idea for the system could be that depending on how you have trained your skills, you get titles, for example, if you have trained say your mining skills, you would get the title of smith, and if you train your acrobatics and archery skill, you could get the title of ninja, and this could come in levels, so then people still get the class system, but it doesn't actually affect gameplay, its merely a way of recognising your achievements. This would mean that people could say that they want to hire a master smith for their town and this would make smithing more efficient. Also, if you add new material (max, i really like your weapon augmentation idea) then the title of Master smith would hold more meaning. It just seems like a nicer tidier way of saying yeh, im level 20 at mining and lvl 20 at archery, when you could say im a journeyman miner and archer.
Applebeard
Applebeard

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-03-16, 1:17 am

AWWWRIGHT I THINK I GOT A PRETTY GOOD LIST HERE
If you could explain what you guys kind of want out of magic I could probably think up a skill tree for it, too.

Here's my skill list:
Maxx Overdrive wrote:
EXP Hard Cap: Each player will "max out" their character after gaining 250 points in any skills. They will no longer be able to train skills without the use of the /forget [skill] command, described below. There are ten skills, which means it is possible to master a few skills, but nowhere near all.

New commands:
/locklvl [skillname]: Prevents experience gain in a particular skill. Good for when you don't want
to level up certain skills (Lock Farming if you only want to train swordsmanship when hitting cows)
/Unlocklvl [skillname]: Re-enables experience gain for locked skills
/Forget [skillname]: This command is for maxed out characters wishing to change their class. When this command is toggled on, you will lose exp in the skill while you train in other skills (I.E. If you were a skill-capped character, and typed /forget archery, then started training in axes, you would lose a point of archery every time you gained a point in axes. This allows players to "Trade" their skills out with a bit of work.

Skills:

Swordsmanship (Gain EXP by hitting monsters, animals, and players, or plank blocks)
Skill 0: Players may use swords of any kind (excluding the new material), with damage penalties depending
on material:

[Wood: No penalty]
[Stone: -1 Damage]
[Iron: -2 Damage]
[Diamond: -3 Damage]

Skill 10: Sword damage penalty is removed
Skill 25: Swords now grant an additional point of armor, affected by the sword's durability
Skill 50: Armor bonus increased to 2 points, and is doubled (4 points) while crouching
Skill 75: The swordsman can now use (new material) blades
Skill 100: The swordsman's passive armor bonus is increased to 3 points (Doubled to 6 by crouching); Crouching now allows the swordsman to block arrows

Blacksmithing (Gain EXP from crafting ore-based tools and repairing them)

Skill 0: Can craft tools as normal. Iron tools and above have 50% less durability than normal, and repairs only
restore the item to 25% Durability
Skill 10: Durability penalty decreased to 25%, Repairs still only restore up to 25%
Skill 25: Tools become stackable
Skill 50: Durability penalty removed, Repairs restore up to 50%
Skill 75: Repairs can now completely restore an items durability
Skill 100: Smiths can now forge and repair (new material) tools. Repairing (new material) tools requires a "golden anvil" (AKA Gold block)

Archery (Gain EXP by shooting monsters, players, animals, and wool blocks)
Skill 0: Player may use bows as normal. Arrow damage does not cause knockback
Skill 10: Arrows will fly straight longer while crouching
Skill 25: Arrows can be retrieved from kills
Skill 50: Arrow knockback is restored
Skill 75: Arrow damage increased to 2.5 Hearts, with a 20% chance to ignore armor
Skill 100: Arrows can now be used to activate switches, buttons, and pressure plates.

Herbalism (Gain EXP by breaking flowers and mushrooms)

Skill 0: Player may gather gather flowers/mushrooms as normal, but cannot craft mushroom stew
Skill 10: Red Mushrooms become edible. One red mushroom will restore 1 heart of damage
Skill 25: 25% chance for double drops from plants
Skill 50: Mushroom stew is now craftable
Skill 75: Double drop chance increased to 50%
Skill 100: Double drop chance increased to 75%; All plants become edible, healing 2 hearts of damage; red
mushrooms heal 1 more heart of damage

Acrobatics (Gain EXP by jumping and taking fall damage)

Skill 0: Player takes fall damage and can jump as normal
Skill 10: Fall damage is reduced by .5 hearts
Skill 25: Fall damage is reduced by 1 heart
Skill 50: Players gain the ability to "roll" when landing. Rolling will prevent all fall damage, and is
accomplished by crouching just before you land
Skill 75: Jump height increased to 3
Skill 100: The acrobat gains the ability to super-jump by Jumping once and then jumping again just before he hits the ground. A super jump will send the acrobat 5 blocks into the air. Rolling now blocks incoming arrows

Mining (Gain EXP by breaking ore blocks and obsidian)

Skill 0: The miner can dig as normal; Breaking Obsidian and netherrack no longer drops blocks; All picks work at stone speed
Skill 10: Digging speed with picks now depends on material, as normal
Skill 25: The miner gains a 10% chance of double drops from ores
Skill 50: Netherrack blocks can be gathered, the miner now also gains 8 torches from one coal and stick
Skill 75: Obsidian blocks can be gathered; Double drop chance increased to 50%; Breaking lightstone now yeilds a full lightstone block
Skill 100: Ores mined by the miner are smelted automatically when mining; Double drop chance increased to 75%

Farming (Gain EXP by gathering crops and hitting animals)

Skill 0: Player can farm as normal; Chances of getting seeds when tilling reduced by 50%; Bonemeal does not intant-grow crops
Skill 10: Seed chances restored
Skill 25: Bonemeal can now be used to instant-grow crops
Skill 50: Cows now drop 1 raw meat (porkchop) as well as leather on death
Skill 75: Seed drops from tilling doubled; Pig and Chicken drops doubled
Skill 100: Animals now drop resources on-hit, like sheep. These resources regenerate every minecraft day

Mercantile (Gain EXP by spending/saving spades)

Skill 0: Player can buy items from merchants
Skill 10: Player can open a store, and sell items to other players
Skill 25: Monsters gain a 10% chance of dropping a gold ingot
Skill 50: Ingot drop chance increased to 15%; Gold ore now drops two blocks.
Skill 75: The merchant gains an extra 10% of purchases in spades
Skill 100: The Tax bonus is increased to 20%; Monsters drop increased to two ingots

Axes (Gain EXP from hitting monsters, animals and players, and chopping blocks)

[Wood: 2 hearts]
[Stone: 3 hearts]
[Iron: 4 hearts]
[Diamond: 5 hearts]
[*New Material*:????]

Hand-to-Hand (Gain EXP from hitting monsters, animals, and players, as well as breaking blocks barehanded)

Skill 50: Fist Damage from left clicking no longer knocks enemies backwards, giving the brawler the ability to
"combo" punches together. He takes a defensive penalty for executing longer combos, as the defending player will stay in striking distance even when he's hit.

Feel free to suggest improvements. There will probably be five more classes depending on how you guys want the magic system to work.

MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  rhino600 2011-03-16, 7:51 am

MaxxOverdrive wrote:AWWWRIGHT I THINK I GOT A PRETTY GOOD LIST HERE
If you could explain what you guys kind of want out of magic I could probably think up a skill tree for it, too.

Here's my skill list:
Maxx Overdrive wrote:
EXP Hard Cap: Each player will "max out" their character after gaining 250 points in any skills. They will no longer be able to train skills without the use of the /forget [skill] command, described below. There are ten skills, which means it is possible to master a few skills, but nowhere near all.

New commands:
/locklvl [skillname]: Prevents experience gain in a particular skill. Good for when you don't want
to level up certain skills (Lock Farming if you only want to train swordsmanship when hitting cows)
/Unlocklvl [skillname]: Re-enables experience gain for locked skills
/Forget [skillname]: This command is for maxed out characters wishing to change their class. When this command is toggled on, you will lose exp in the skill while you train in other skills (I.E. If you were a skill-capped character, and typed /forget archery, then started training in axes, you would lose a point of archery every time you gained a point in axes. This allows players to "Trade" their skills out with a bit of work.

Skills:

Swordsmanship (Gain EXP by hitting monsters, animals, and players, or plank blocks)
Skill 0: Players may use swords of any kind (excluding the new material), with damage penalties depending
on material:

[Wood: No penalty]
[Stone: -1 Damage]
[Iron: -2 Damage]
[Diamond: -3 Damage]

Skill 10: Sword damage penalty is removed
Skill 25: Swords now grant an additional point of armor, affected by the sword's durability
Skill 50: Armor bonus increased to 2 points, and is doubled (4 points) while crouching
Skill 75: The swordsman can now use (new material) blades
Skill 100: The swordsman's passive armor bonus is increased to 3 points (Doubled to 6 by crouching); Crouching now allows the swordsman to block arrows

Blacksmithing (Gain EXP from crafting ore-based tools and repairing them)

Skill 0: Can craft tools as normal. Iron tools and above have 50% less durability than normal, and repairs only
restore the item to 25% Durability
Skill 10: Durability penalty decreased to 25%, Repairs still only restore up to 25%
Skill 25: Tools become stackable
Skill 50: Durability penalty removed, Repairs restore up to 50%
Skill 75: Repairs can now completely restore an items durability
Skill 100: Smiths can now forge and repair (new material) tools. Repairing (new material) tools requires a "golden anvil" (AKA Gold block)

Archery (Gain EXP by shooting monsters, players, animals, and wool blocks)
Skill 0: Player may use bows as normal. Arrow damage does not cause knockback
Skill 10: Arrows will fly straight longer while crouching
Skill 25: Arrows can be retrieved from kills
Skill 50: Arrow knockback is restored
Skill 75: Arrow damage increased to 2.5 Hearts, with a 20% chance to ignore armor
Skill 100: Arrows can now be used to activate switches, buttons, and pressure plates.

Herbalism (Gain EXP by breaking flowers and mushrooms)

Skill 0: Player may gather gather flowers/mushrooms as normal, but cannot craft mushroom stew
Skill 10: Red Mushrooms become edible. One red mushroom will restore 1 heart of damage
Skill 25: 25% chance for double drops from plants
Skill 50: Mushroom stew is now craftable
Skill 75: Double drop chance increased to 50%
Skill 100: Double drop chance increased to 75%; All plants become edible, healing 2 hearts of damage; red
mushrooms heal 1 more heart of damage

Acrobatics (Gain EXP by jumping and taking fall damage)

Skill 0: Player takes fall damage and can jump as normal
Skill 10: Fall damage is reduced by .5 hearts
Skill 25: Fall damage is reduced by 1 heart
Skill 50: Players gain the ability to "roll" when landing. Rolling will prevent all fall damage, and is
accomplished by crouching just before you land
Skill 75: Jump height increased to 3
Skill 100: The acrobat gains the ability to super-jump by Jumping once and then jumping again just before he hits the ground. A super jump will send the acrobat 5 blocks into the air. Rolling now blocks incoming arrows

Mining (Gain EXP by breaking ore blocks and obsidian)

Skill 0: The miner can dig as normal; Breaking Obsidian and netherrack no longer drops blocks; All picks work at stone speed
Skill 10: Digging speed with picks now depends on material, as normal
Skill 25: The miner gains a 10% chance of double drops from ores
Skill 50: Netherrack blocks can be gathered, the miner now also gains 8 torches from one coal and stick
Skill 75: Obsidian blocks can be gathered; Double drop chance increased to 50%; Breaking lightstone now yeilds a full lightstone block
Skill 100: Ores mined by the miner are smelted automatically when mining; Double drop chance increased to 75%

Farming (Gain EXP by gathering crops and hitting animals)

Skill 0: Player can farm as normal; Chances of getting seeds when tilling reduced by 50%; Bonemeal does not intant-grow crops
Skill 10: Seed chances restored
Skill 25: Bonemeal can now be used to instant-grow crops
Skill 50: Cows now drop 1 raw meat (porkchop) as well as leather on death
Skill 75: Seed drops from tilling doubled; Pig and Chicken drops doubled
Skill 100: Animals now drop resources on-hit, like sheep. These resources regenerate every minecraft day

Mercantile (Gain EXP by spending/saving spades)

Skill 0: Player can buy items from merchants
Skill 10: Player can open a store, and sell items to other players
Skill 25: Monsters gain a 10% chance of dropping a gold ingot
Skill 50: Ingot drop chance increased to 15%; Gold ore now drops two blocks.
Skill 75: The merchant gains an extra 10% of purchases in spades
Skill 100: The Tax bonus is increased to 20%; Monsters drop increased to two ingots

Axes (Gain EXP from hitting monsters, animals and players, and chopping blocks)

[Wood: 2 hearts]
[Stone: 3 hearts]
[Iron: 4 hearts]
[Diamond: 5 hearts]
[*New Material*:????]

Hand-to-Hand (Gain EXP from hitting monsters, animals, and players, as well as breaking blocks barehanded)

Skill 50: Fist Damage from left clicking no longer knocks enemies backwards, giving the brawler the ability to
"combo" punches together. He takes a defensive penalty for executing longer combos, as the defending player will stay in striking distance even when he's hit.

Feel free to suggest improvements. There will probably be five more classes depending on how you guys want the magic system to work.

^^^This. Looks. Amazing!^^^
It seems like it would be the perfect tool for this server! It would help with RPing because people actually improve their skills within their profession giving them goals and specialties that make their character unique. This would allow for a more varied game experience since people could become better at what they like and thus become known for doing it well, instead of being replaceable they become valuable assets to their community. This would also make it easier for people to make money by offering their services to others. I hope something like this can be implemented, it would be GAME CHANGING...
rhino600
rhino600

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-03-16, 10:05 am

Ah, but would it be game changing in a good way? Some of the things on the list are great, while others would be game breakers.

The level hard cap is a great idea, it causes people to specialize in only a couple skills. I would like the cap increased by, say, 50 or so? That way people can specialize in 3 major skills to level 100 if they want to. With Mining, Swordsmanship, Acrobatics, Axes, Blacksmithing, Mercantile.... all of them are incredibly useful. It wouldn't be fair if people didn't have enough EXP to at least get some experience in a couple things. For instance, my character is combat focused, but I also want mercantile so I can sell my loot. How could I have enough EXP for Armor, Acrobatics, Archery, Swordsmanship, AND Mercantile?

Also, there's a couple glaring problems with some of the skills being frikkin imbalanced. Like for Blacksmithing, any time tools become stackable, you have a major problem. You have a market, and that market depends on supply and demand. If you end up flooding the market with stackable tools (even just stone ones), then you're significantly lowering the value of not only the tools, but the materials their made of besides. Imagine coming out in spawn, and finding a chest loaded with stacks and stacks of stone tools? Congratulations, you just broke a key part of the game. Now the guy can take those and use them to his heart's content, never depending on another person for his wealth. Now, if there was a way that only the person with Blacksmithing could have tools stacked, and have them stack ONLY in his personal inventory, and have it be his lvl 100 bonus rather than his lvl 50 bonus, then yeah, I'm cool with that.

For the Forget thing, can you add a number function for that? Like, "Forget 5 Armor". Instead of forgetting ALL your armor and having to start over again, you can forget those 5 extra you accidentally got that's keeping you from maxing out that other skill you want.

Herbalism.... kinda pointless. Maybe make a cooking skill, for bonuses in making cake, bread, and stew? Otherwise I'll be blocking that skill right out the door.

Swords giving armor is an interesting idea, but if you add on all the other things like Block Arrows and stack that with other bonuses you get from Armor and Acrobatics, you could end up having a guy that's nigh invincible at high levels. Also, in the end you'll have some kind of crazy crouch wars going on.

I just realized there is no Armor skill. I just assumed it would be there. Where's the Armor skill? D:

How does acrobatics work? If you have it maxed out, then you'll never tumble/roll again, you'll just super jump. Maybe make a different keystroke for the roll? It could be used as a dodge then too. Maybe at a high level using a roll would keep you from activating a pressure plate to a trap, or allow you to make a longer horizontal jump if you jump right after a roll, allowing you to get past larger gaps.

Disarm?! On hand to hand? I'm cool with the idea of a disarm, but with that high of a percentage, all I need is a really high hand to hand and a ton of armor, and I'll be poppin swords outta guys hands no problem. Think about it, my attack speed is really high, and my attacks do no knockback. I can attack really fast! So that's a ton of chances for me to disarm my opponent and win. (Given I don't up and get killed by his sword) And then what if he has hand to hand skill? Either this skill is the most OP, or the one that's guaranteed to kill the most noobs that try to use it.

Axes instantly kill crouching players. A cool idea, considering the axe even with the bonuses is still weaker than the other weapons. Since the sword gives more armor bonuses, a swordsman would be tempted to use his crouch against an axe wielding opponent. But if that axe guy is lvl 100, bam, end of the road for sword guy.

Where's the Sneak skill!? Where's my attack bonus for attacking someone while sneaking? Or my speed bonus? Why can't I be a NINJA!? Remember to make it balanced though, no OP things. And keep in mind there has to be a difference between sneaking and crouching, otherwise you will always have crouch wars going on for the people that want all their bonuses.

I want a command that lets me check my level and experience! /check axe should show me my level in axe, and how many hits/blocks broken/noobs killed it will take for me to get to the next one. /check skills should show me all my current skills that I have levels in, and what skills I have locked, unlocked, or whatever. There can be more commands too, but you need them for organizing and keeping up with your own activity.

That's all I got right now, but I could say more about it. Keep it up Maxx.

AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum