The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Highly controversial topic is controversial.

+15
Cypranex
Kremit
GeorgeH
Transfatninja
Habit
draco222
thewarthog
ivanelk
Boshiwukins
igortv123
Blind_Merc
MaxxOverdrive
KhaosLeper
CornNerd
Sevyn
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Highly controversial topic is controversial. Empty Highly controversial topic is controversial.

Post  Sevyn 2011-02-16, 1:13 pm

This is highly controversial. Disclaimer.

I want to somehow get rid of PvP. PvP is the biggest problem we have right now.
I would infinitely prefer happy people in a RP PvE environment then a bitter angry RP PvP server

Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Highly controversial topic is controversial. Empty Re: Highly controversial topic is controversial.

Post  CornNerd 2011-02-16, 1:44 pm

I, personally, wouldn't mind this change. But this is because I don't really take part in PVP. Those who joined this server looking forward to PVP may not enjoy the server as much, if not simply for the fact that such a restriction has been placed on them.
Hopefully most of the conflict that is currently going on will go away as Soto and his team get the server to the state they have planned. If things don't get better and PVP seems to be at the root of the problem, then I will fully support this change. Otherwise, I say we wait it out.
CornNerd
CornNerd

http://thehobbyfinder.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Highly controversial topic is controversial. Empty Re: Highly controversial topic is controversial.

Post  KhaosLeper 2011-02-16, 2:08 pm

Totally for this. People killing others seems to be the reason for most of the disputes and anger. Perhaps it could be made where a player could toggle his own PvP on or off instead of the server toggling it on or off. Make so those who want to PvP can and those who don't, don't have to.
KhaosLeper

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-02-16, 2:16 pm

Nnnnnaaaahhh. Pvp's a bit bumpy right now, but once Societies is implemented and people get more active (likely once spring break starts), Things will become a bit more balanced. It's kind of a challenge knowing that your base is never truly secured, since actual players will not simply bump against the walls outside.

Really, the biggest problem we have is our complaints forum. Seriously, I think wiping the complaints section of inactive or resolved threads about once a month will keep us from looking like a group of bitter PvPers. Because really, we're not. The Pirate/Legion relations get a little heated, but it's to be expected in a faction-war server.
Dying in minecraft can be a shitty experience, and when you know the person responsible for said shitty experience, you can get pretty pissed at them, even out of game, but you have to accept that what happened has already happened, and talking shit on the forums won't make you feel any better (and neither will running directly towards them unarmed straight from spawn what are you thinking).
Restocking your supplies and hunting him down once you have rearmed yourself can help, though. I know the New Life Rule is meant to prevent revenge killing, but really I think it's just a way to try and keep players from getting too frustrated and emotional when they realize that even beelining it to their supplies from spawn will not get them back. There should be a line drawn between "revenge" and "justice" there, as well, so PK victims can at least try to strike back to reclaim what's theirs at a later time.

Battle was a regular part of medieval life for all peoples, it should not be removed just because people are afraid to die and lose their things.
MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-02-16, 2:55 pm

It'd be good to turn it off until the server is complete. Than turning it back on would be great. Only downside is people will get very bored when their castles are done and may start griefing or building useless structures in-wait.
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  igortv123 2011-02-16, 3:00 pm

Good and bad. I still like it on, even though I dont encourage it.
Good: No more 'QQing', bitching, and pretty much, no more problems.
Bad: People could raid others, and would have no defense.
Keep PvP on, just ban those who do it wayyyy to much.
igortv123
igortv123

Back to top Go down

Post  Boshiwukins 2011-02-16, 3:17 pm

is worse comes to worse, then yes turn off pvp, but as of right now, even though it gets ugly, just control yourselves people. But pvp could also become into controlled areas like arenas and games and fields and whatnot
Boshiwukins
Boshiwukins

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanelk 2011-02-16, 3:36 pm

I will repeat this so more people read this.
Because the pve in this game is so good *rolls eyes.*
Honestly the only thing left would be creating things and hoping mobs don't kill you. That honestly is kinda pointless.
You can get that experience on just about 50 servers (and they have better protection then towny in terms of griefing).
This server is unique, no server has an experience like this one. By making it something we can already get on several other servers, this server becomes pointless to play on vs any other pve/ pvp off creative or survival servers.
So to make fun of how you word your topic title.
Pointless server is pointless.

And honestly I doubt soto would take out the pvp aspect.
ivanelk

Back to top Go down

Post  thewarthog 2011-02-16, 5:29 pm

Gasp, doubting the great Soto :O

^word twists are fun.
thewarthog
thewarthog

Back to top Go down

Post  draco222 2011-02-16, 7:13 pm

Its true that you can't attack a raider, but there isn't any raiding right now. Convenient, so I say turn PvP off while we have the no raiding rule on.
draco222
draco222

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-02-16, 7:45 pm

i think turning pvp off is a great idea.

ok i lied
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-02-16, 7:48 pm

ivanelk wrote:I will repeat this so more people read this.
Honestly the only thing left would be creating things and hoping mobs don't kill you. That honestly is kinda pointless.
You can get that experience on just about 50 servers (and they have better protection then towny in terms of griefing).
This server is unique, no server has an experience like this one. By making it something we can already get on several other servers, this server becomes pointless to play on vs any other pve/ pvp off creative or survival servers.

You never liked single player did you?
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-02-16, 9:05 pm

Sevyn wrote:

Singleplayer is good, yet the lag you get when your playing on a server or the glitches you get when attacking mobs just worsens it.

E.g I zombie will pretty well always hit you. You cant sneak down to attack mobs legs either. :C
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-02-16, 9:30 pm

Sevyn wrote:This is highly controversial. Disclaimer.

I would infinitely prefer happy people in a RP PvE environment then a bitter angry RP PvP server

I would like to correct this statement, I would rather see much less of a PvP focus.
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Transfatninja 2011-02-16, 10:12 pm

Alright, first off, I'm not much of a fan of PvP, especially as it is now, but I believe it's a necessary part of the server. The thing is that PvP needs to be more formalized, wanton fighting isn't as fun for everyone as an organized war. A war would utilize strategy, require more resources, and have opposing forces; which not only makes it more challenging, but also gives a lot more layers to the gameplay. If we had legitimate warfare, the PvP element would be a lot more fun. As it is now, it's either small time fighting or one-sided raids really; large armies duking it out would be so much better.

On the topic of PvP, the excuse of "he's from 'such and such', and we're enemies" isn't (and shouldn't be considered) a reason to kill someone on sight regardless of where they are or what they're doing. Yes, membership to a rival faction is certainly a reason to be suspicious, or deny services, etc.; but being in a rival faction doesn't mean they need to be attacked...every...single...time...you see them. The extortion as well, to a lesser extent; when your kingdom acts like a criminal enterprise, people get mad. It might seem like I'm calling out the Legion, which I am. This is from stuff members of the Legion has posted themselves, this isn't hearsay, this isn't anecdotal. I haven't even really had the time to play on the server, so I'm not just QQ'ing about being pwned by a Legionnaire. So a word of advice to the Legion, most people are "crying" about the Legion's actions, which is in turn making disabling PvP seem more and more likely; don't destroy what you hold so dear.

Anyway, that's enough of that. I do agree that PvP needs to be focused less upon. It's not really working as it is now, but that isn't doesn't mean there's no potential for a good PvP system that actually adds to the Kingdoms' experience instead of collapsing into a pit of seething rage.
Transfatninja

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-02-16, 10:12 pm

Sevyn wrote:

I definitely didn't. SMP's potential goes much farther beyond single player's, where the game's real survival challenge essentially ends once you have a house to keep monsters away and a sword to kill them with. Sure, some people are getting pissed at each other, but it's just because the game is so damn immersive, they're really getting into it. And let them!
Keep the dispute forums a lot cleaner by filtering out the rant/whine posts from the real issues and disputes. Dumping the rage into an un-moderated Player Rant forum would work best, as players could simply vent their e-rage in there, instead of in other parts of the board!
PvP makes the game more engaging, and when people are engaged in a game they can have a lot of fun with it. This is because they grow more immersed in the game world, and start to grow attached to their virtual creations. Unfortunately, since we become attached to these virtual things, we get upset when we lose them, no matter who the robber is. Be it a player, or a monster, lava, or even gravity, people will rage when they lose the stuff they took so much time to gather. Rage will always be a part of minecraft, and we all know it. But we play it because the awesome parts are just so goddamn awesome that the all of the past hassles are forgotten. Clearing the dispute forums regularly can mimic this, and adding a rant section can keep it clear then as well.

Keep PvP in, the forums are what really need maintanence.
MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  GeorgeH 2011-02-17, 12:44 am

Sevyn wrote:This is highly controversial. Disclaimer.

Disagree strongly. PvP is one of the major attractions to this server. The problems currently being encountered can be corrected as Chivers has already pointed out elsewhere.
GeorgeH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-02-17, 11:34 am

im a little confused. didnt u, sevyn, apply for this job? when u applied didnt u know whats coming for you?

thanks for the tips to the legion. We can handle beeing hated and i dont really care as long as the admins judge fair and dont just go with the whines in the forums.
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-02-17, 2:43 pm

Habit wrote:im a little confused. didnt u, sevyn, apply for this job? when u applied didnt u know whats coming for you?

thanks for the tips to the legion. We can handle beeing hated and i dont really care as long as the admins judge fair and dont just go with the whines in the forums.

You are confused, he's trying to come up with ways to fix the constant player disputes and arguments. Thus why we vote and share our opinions when he thinks of an idea.

It would also be nice if the Legion followed more closely to the server rules instead of getting a chance card every draw, than again It really isn't the Legion as a whole; Individuals are to blame.
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanelk 2011-02-17, 3:20 pm

Blind_Merc wrote:
Habit wrote:im a little confused. didnt u, sevyn, apply for this job? when u applied didnt u know whats coming for you?

You are confused, he's trying to come up with ways to fix the constant player disputes and arguments. Thus why we vote and share our opinions when he thinks of an idea.

It would also be nice if the Legion followed more closely to the server rules instead of getting a chance card every draw, than again It really isn't the Legion as a whole; Individuals are to blame.
Are you a mod? You are at the very least pretending to be one. The mods are the ones who decide this not the players.
You may hate us and how we play, but it isn't much of your business honestly.
ivanelk

Back to top Go down

Post  igortv123 2011-02-17, 3:41 pm

ivanelk wrote:
Blind_Merc wrote:

Are you a mod? You are at the very least pretending to be one. The mods are the ones who decide this not the players.
Here we go again! Lock it now Sevyn..
igortv123
igortv123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-02-17, 5:35 pm

ivanelk wrote:
Blind_Merc wrote:

You are not helping at all. You are making a lot of replies in this format. I am seriously considering banning you.

@Habit What Blind Merc said.
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-02-17, 6:11 pm

im following the rules and still u hate me, ive never done anything against the rules etc. plz flame me for things im really guilty off like, hmm killing you, raiding ur base, stealing ur stuff etc. dont bring wrong things up like im "not following the rules"
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  Habit 2011-02-17, 6:14 pm

Sevyn wrote:

You are not helping at all. You are making a lot of replies in this format. I am seriously considering banning you.

its his opinion that other ppls shouldnt give up there opinion (which is wrong). If u ban him for things like this ill leave this server, too. theres no reason to talk bullshit like this, he hasnt done anything wrong. hes just also bored of this useless comments u try to stop by turning pvp off. i used to like u but it seems u act pretty random 2.
Habit
Habit

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd 2011-02-17, 6:17 pm

Habit wrote:
Sevyn wrote:

its his opinion that other ppls shouldnt give up there opinion (which is wrong). If u ban him for things like this ill leave this server, too. theres no reason to talk bullshit like this, he hasnt done anything wrong. hes just also bored of this useless comments u try to stop by turning pvp off. i used to like u but it seems u act pretty random 2.

I believe Sevyn is referring to the disrespectful and degrading tone Ivan tends to take on. I have noticed this as well. It is unnecessary and unwanted.
CornNerd
CornNerd

http://thehobbyfinder.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next