The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Societies Update

+20
Boshiwukins
Toren
MaxxOverdrive
Soulcom
Diabloz
HoboJoeTLM
Cypranex
draco222
Littlemoomoo
ivanelk
Blind_Merc
Transfatninja
ryuukazu
AdrianRedd
skeletonboy
Sevyn
Raijouta
Dementor
thewarthog
HunterE30633
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Societies Update - Page 2 Empty Re: Societies Update

Post  Cypranex 2011-02-17, 6:46 pm

ryuukazu wrote:
Raijouta wrote:
draco222 wrote:What? Yay Adrian?

HunterE3's real name is Adrian.

HunterE3 fanboy eh? ME TOO Very Happy

OFF TOPIC
ryuu ur avatar made me laugh so much that i got yelled at by the teacher (im checking on my phone XD) (she still doesn't know why i was laughing)
Cypranex
Cypranex

Back to top Go down

Post  HunterE30633 2011-02-26, 12:39 pm

Ladies and gentlemen! I have good news and I have horrible news.

The good news first:
I am on spring break! Speaking of spring, it has yet to arrive here. I'm looking out the window and there is snow on the ground and clouds blocking the sun. To add to the good news, I don't have that many obligations this next week so that means I will be working on Societies by adding the final touches and testing it. This week you will all be able to reclaim all your lands and play around with the economy. With a new system means new information and that in turn means scrapping the old. So yes, everything mod related will be thrown away. You will have to reclaim your lands and the monetary system will change. To add to the good news, the team and I will sift through all the information you guys have so far in the server and move over important data such as coin in to the new system.

The horrible news.... There is none. Which is good, right?

So with this I am going to give you an update on the current state of Societies. Soto and I have been talking about Societies and how the kingdoms will work. There are going to be a couple features that I need to add this weekend which I hope you all will love. The economy system is integrated with kingdoms. A flawless and seamless integration is what I was going for and is what I'm trying to create for you. With two major systems like that, it was hard to integrate them.

Kingdoms alone came out to be about 1000 lines of code, with the integration of the economy, it's now sitting close to 3000. Thats kingdoms, economy, and chat all working together. Also keep in mind thats just the integration of the systems. Meaning I have a kingdom that can have it's own economy and it's own chat system. I have programmed in some player interaction but not enough for you all to fully experience the mod. That means if I released Societies right now, you could go out and claim a kingdom, add people to your kingdom, remove them, transfer leadership, create some other fun stuff dealing with the economy and your kingdom but not everything that deals with the economy.

The release date is within the next week. In Societies you will get kingdoms, economy, and chat. Following Societies will be the mysterious M mod and after that the F mod.

Thank you all again. You have been great and your patience has been more than I could ask for. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.
HunterE30633
HunterE30633

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlemoomoo 2011-02-26, 12:43 pm

HunterE30633 wrote:Ladies and gentlemen! I have good news and I have horrible news.

The good news first:
I am on spring break! Speaking of spring, it has yet to arrive here. I'm looking out the window and there is snow on the ground and clouds blocking the sun. To add to the good news, I don't have that many obligations this next week so that means I will be working on Societies by adding the final touches and testing it. This week you will all be able to reclaim all your lands and play around with the economy. With a new system means new information and that in turn means scrapping the old. So yes, everything mod related will be thrown away. You will have to reclaim your lands and the monetary system will change. To add to the good news, the team and I will sift through all the information you guys have so far in the server and move over important data such as coin in to the new system.

The horrible news.... There is none. Which is good, right?

So with this I am going to give you an update on the current state of Societies. Soto and I have been talking about Societies and how the kingdoms will work. There are going to be a couple features that I need to add this weekend which I hope you all will love. The economy system is integrated with kingdoms. A flawless and seamless integration is what I was going for and is what I'm trying to create for you. With two major systems like that, it was hard to integrate them.

Kingdoms alone came out to be about 1000 lines of code, with the integration of the economy, it's now sitting close to 3000. Thats kingdoms, economy, and chat all working together. Also keep in mind thats just the integration of the systems. Meaning I have a kingdom that can have it's own economy and it's own chat system. I have programmed in some player interaction but not enough for you all to fully experience the mod. That means if I released Societies right now, you could go out and claim a kingdom, add people to your kingdom, remove them, transfer leadership, create some other fun stuff dealing with the economy and your kingdom but not everything that deals with the economy.

The release date is within the next week. In Societies you will get kingdoms, economy, and chat. Following Societies will be the mysterious M mod and after that the F mod.

Thank you all again. You have been great and your patience has been more than I could ask for. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them.

SAWEEEEET!
Littlemoomoo
Littlemoomoo

Back to top Go down

Post  HunterE30633 2011-03-01, 10:24 pm

As I'm working on Societies, I've come across a major problem.

This system is going with a point of origin system as opposed to the claiming system you are all used to. When you start your town, it will just be you. As you add more people to it, it will automatically increase in size. If people leave, it will automatically shrink.

When you reach 10 people, your are declared a "Kingdom" and you have access to a larger plot of land. But the way you obtain this larger plot of land is you choose a new area. You can stand in the center of your original town and place your kingdom there and it would be just like expanding your land (with a few more bonuses of course). But the point is a kingdom is different from a town. When you become a kingdom you can move everything someplace else. So what happens when a kingdom goes below the 10 person mark?

This is where I need your input. Should I destroy the kingdom or just allow a smaller kingdom to exist? Destroying the kingdom would simulate what happened to every other kingdom in history. We see the ruins they left behind. It was all or nothing for them. If we allow dwarf kingdoms to exist, then we have a new dynamic.

I'm leaving it up to you guys. I am going to allow dwarf kingdoms unless you say otherwise. Theres another 3 hours for the debate, I will talk to you all then.
HunterE30633
HunterE30633

Back to top Go down

Post  HoboJoeTLM 2011-03-01, 10:41 pm

a

Last edited by HoboJoeTLM on 2011-09-16, 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
HoboJoeTLM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Raijouta 2011-03-01, 11:03 pm

Well, why not dwarf kingdoms? There have historically been very small kingdoms in some parts of the world...

But I'm not sure I agree with a progressive expansion rather than a claim system, to me a claim system is more dynamic and you get proper jaggy borders that way, as opposed to squares...

Plus with the claim mechanic you have more incentive to take over individual bits of territory, and slowly work your way into the heart of the kingdom, or perhaps take over a kingdom inch by inch.
Raijouta
Raijouta

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlemoomoo 2011-03-01, 11:41 pm

There could be some people who would abuse this to purposly become a "dwarf kingdom" and gain the perks from it.
Littlemoomoo
Littlemoomoo

Back to top Go down

Post  HunterE30633 2011-03-02, 12:16 am

Well the main reason why I went with the point of origin system is because of the economy. When a town becomes a kingdom, the king will be allowed to place a market within his kingdom. The market has to be in one location without any breaks and it all has to fit within the kingdom.

A shop will be given a 10x10 square to do work on. If there are bits and pieces for a market scattered across the land that would make system a lot harder to use. The reason for the market is so that people are forced to place shops in designated locations within a kingdom. It also opens the door for a lot of other things that I have planned like an auction house.

My main concern for everything is to make sure that everything is organized and can fit cleanly.

I will make a compromise though..... When I release the F mod, I will allow towns. Yes, Kingdoms will be allowed to have smaller plots of land seperate from the kingdom yet still under control. The town will not be limited to another point of origin, instead it will utilize a plot claiming system.

The discussion is still in the air though. If you guys don't want a market, I can strip out everything and give you plot claiming. I will still allow shops and an economy and everything else that I have promised. It will be quick and easy for me to do so don't worry about overworking me. I am doing this for you, so I am at your command.
HunterE30633
HunterE30633

Back to top Go down

Post  HunterE30633 2011-03-02, 3:06 am

It's late at night, about 2am. I told you all it was going to get done tonight and I think I've done it.

The first release of Societies is done. Keep in mind that this build is not pretty. It works but it is not pretty when anything is typed out into chat. Thats what I'm going to do in the morning. Now I'm sure your excited to hear what you can do with Societies:

Create a town
Add people to town
Remove people from town
Join a town
Leave a town
Toggle protection for your town (Yes all your land is protected, including the 4 blocks around the edge)
Automatic resizing of town land
Other kingly stuff

You have local chat, only players within X blocks can hear you. Off the top of my head I don't remember what X is so lets go with it
Kingdom chat. If your kingdom is big enough, you automatically get a chat channel. Only members can join it.
Wizard chat. Admin only
Help chat. Help!
Whisper. (OH YEAH) Type /whisper [player name] and your locked in whisper chat between you and that player, just press t and you are good to go. No more /msg [player name] [message] and other not so kingly stuff

You have a new currency now called spades. Yes like the card, or the shovel but lets stick with the card, its cooler. Don't worry, we will transfer over all your current gold to Societies even if I have to do it alone.
Markets within kingdoms. When a kingdom is big enough, it gets the chance to create a market. Once a market is created, players can place a shop in the market. A player can place only one shop in a market, so that means if there are 7 kingdoms, the max amount of shops a player can have is 7.
Stock shops
Stock shops with spades so that it can buy from players
Buy from shops
Sell to shops
Destroy shops

There are probably a few features that I'm forgetting about among other kingly things. So I'm pretty sure that there is more, but I'm absolutely sure that over the next few weeks I will be adding more to Societies.

So seeing how I didn't make things pretty when it comes up in chat yet and left it for the morning, I think the version we are sitting at is .58

I hereby declare Societies v0.58
open for testing come noon March 2nd 2011

It's been an honor modding Societies for you all, and I am honored to continue modding for you.

Thank you, and goodnight
HunterE30633
HunterE30633

Back to top Go down

Post  Diabloz 2011-03-02, 6:45 am

nice goodjob, adrian.
Diabloz
Diabloz
Smart People's Club
Smart People's Club

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulcom 2011-03-02, 7:27 am

Thats really sweet man. Really good work.
Soulcom
Soulcom

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-03-02, 8:22 am

HunterE30633 wrote:It's late at night, about 2am. I told you all it was going to get done tonight and I think I've done it.

The first release of Societies is done. Keep in mind that this build is not pretty. It works but it is not pretty when anything is typed out into chat. Thats what I'm going to do in the morning. Now I'm sure your excited to hear what you can do with Societies:

Create a town
Add people to town
Remove people from town
Join a town
Leave a town
Toggle protection for your town (Yes all your land is protected, including the 4 blocks around the edge)
Automatic resizing of town land
Other kingly stuff

You have local chat, only players within X blocks can hear you. Off the top of my head I don't remember what X is so lets go with it
Kingdom chat. If your kingdom is big enough, you automatically get a chat channel. Only members can join it.
Wizard chat. Admin only
Help chat. Help!
Whisper. (OH YEAH) Type /whisper [player name] and your locked in whisper chat between you and that player, just press t and you are good to go. No more /msg [player name] [message] and other not so kingly stuff

You have a new currency now called spades. Yes like the card, or the shovel but lets stick with the card, its cooler. Don't worry, we will transfer over all your current gold to Societies even if I have to do it alone.
Markets within kingdoms. When a kingdom is big enough, it gets the chance to create a market. Once a market is created, players can place a shop in the market. A player can place only one shop in a market, so that means if there are 7 kingdoms, the max amount of shops a player can have is 7.
Stock shops
Stock shops with spades so that it can buy from players
Buy from shops
Sell to shops
Destroy shops

There are probably a few features that I'm forgetting about among other kingly things. So I'm pretty sure that there is more, but I'm absolutely sure that over the next few weeks I will be adding more to Societies.

So seeing how I didn't make things pretty when it comes up in chat yet and left it for the morning, I think the version we are sitting at is .58

I hereby declare Societies v0.58
open for testing come noon March 2nd 2011

It's been an honor modding Societies for you all, and I am honored to continue modding for you.

Thank you, and goodnight

Societies Update - Page 2 12608210
MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  Toren 2011-03-02, 9:21 am

Awesome, great work Adrian. Thanks a ton
Toren
Toren

Back to top Go down

Post  HunterE30633 2011-03-02, 1:58 pm

Societies InDev (v0.58) is now active once chivers puts it up
HunterE30633
HunterE30633

Back to top Go down

Post  Boshiwukins 2011-03-02, 4:50 pm

THE "m" mod is MOVECRAFT YES!
Boshiwukins
Boshiwukins

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanelk 2011-03-02, 5:20 pm

Boshiwukins wrote:THE "m" mod is MOVECRAFT YES!
No. Just no.

But is it working or is still the chat mod only right now.
ivanelk

Back to top Go down

Post  draco222 2011-03-02, 6:04 pm

WOAH WOAH THATS TODAY GET ME ON THE SERVER!

And hey, thanks! Very Happy
draco222
draco222

Back to top Go down

Post  samyham 2011-03-02, 6:05 pm

M is for moon, didnt he say that there would be a moon?
samyham
samyham

Back to top Go down

Post  HunterE30633 2011-03-03, 2:04 pm

Well, I really want a moon and dammit I'm going to get one. But sadly, not now

I will post about the next mod soon.

Also, I fixed the major problem of Societies. I added one line of code and now you can input commands. I'm sorry for the shitty documentation but it wasn't my priority as I was adding all the functionality. I'm going to write up a document, send it to chivers who is then going to put it in some sort of nice and organized document and then release it to you guys. Once that is done I'm going to finalize everything and create an in-game help system.

There still are a few problems here and there with Societies. If you find a bug or a problem or just something that you don't like, write it down and post it here. I'm working on it as much as I can. I just fixed a few issues with the chat system and I'm moving on to a few problems I found with kingdoms and the economy. It seems though that there are no MAJOR issues but instead just a few minor ones.

There is a lot more on the way,
Have fun, and thank you
HunterE30633
HunterE30633

Back to top Go down

Post  Raijouta 2011-03-03, 2:44 pm

Perhaps a /help that shows all the commands available?
Raijouta
Raijouta

Back to top Go down

Post  KhaosLeper 2011-03-03, 11:18 pm

Chat bugs:

Once a town is created you lose access to the current form of global chat.

Changing channels doesn't work. typing /ch local returns Channel does not exist

KhaosLeper

Back to top Go down

Post  Hrolgar 2011-03-03, 11:43 pm

HunterE30633 wrote:

Splendid!
Hrolgar

Back to top Go down

Post  Raijouta 2011-03-04, 12:49 am

If this is going to be the 'report bugs in Societies' thread, I have a few:

- First, it's really difficult to know what you can do without a list of available commands.
- Typing /destroytown doesn't destroy the town, it merely kicks the mayor and leaves the town intact. Since protection is on by default, this is very frustrating.
- As mentioned above, chat bugs...
- There seems to be no perceivable way to invite someone to a town.
- Typing /whisper or /tell do not seem to let you see what you are saying to other people. You only get their side of the story, which might be problematic for future threads in the 'Bans and Appeals' forum.
- Destroying blocks within a town if you aren't a part of it has a significant lag for their restoration
- Monsters don't despawn within towns (I like this, but perhaps you could make it capable of toggling)
Raijouta
Raijouta

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-03-04, 3:00 am

Raijouta wrote:If this is going to be the 'report bugs in Societies' thread, I have a few:

- First, it's really difficult to know what you can do without a list of available commands.
- Typing /destroytown doesn't destroy the town, it merely kicks the mayor and leaves the town intact. Since protection is on by default, this is very frustrating.
- Typing /whisper or /tell do not seem to let you see what you are saying to other people. You only get their side of the story, which might be problematic for future threads in the 'Bans and Appeals' forum.
- Destroying blocks within a town if you aren't a part of it has a significant lag for their restoration
- Monsters don't despawn within towns (I like this, but perhaps you could make it capable of toggling)

These were essentially all of the issues I encountered while messing with the mod (especially #2...Tried to delete the town so I could move the claiming area, but allit did was kick me from the mayor position). It may also just be coincidence, but I'm getting quite a few more socket-error kicks than I usually get, as well. I was hanging around my town's borders every time I got d/c'd, so it might have something to do with that.

Hope to test a bit more tomorrow!
MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  HunterE30633 2011-03-04, 11:43 am

Raijouta wrote:If this is going to be the 'report bugs in Societies' thread, I have a few:

This is awesome. Thank you for the list. I'll get to work on it now
HunterE30633
HunterE30633

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next