The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping OOC chat in check

+4
skeletonboy
TheLolness
MrSpoon
MaxxOverdrive
8 posters

Go down

Keeping OOC chat in check Empty Keeping OOC chat in check

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-02-12, 10:59 am

There must be a way to keep players from simply hopping on OOC whenever they want to talk to someone whose out of /local distance or make an announcement. Players should be using PMs, Signs, or faction channels for that. Banning players for OOC abuse seems like too harsh a punishment. Could there be another way around this? Maybe HunterE can mod the chat system so the OOC input layout would be /chat ooc [message here]? It would have to be something long enough to make typing OOC a little more inconvenient than it is now. Maybe even implement something similar for faction channels as well? Meanwhile, the default channel when logging in would be local.

I'm sure there are better ways to go about this, what do you guys think?
MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Keeping OOC chat in check Empty Re: Keeping OOC chat in check

Post  MrSpoon 2011-02-12, 11:24 am

I don't think nomads organising using ooc or people announcing with it is a good idea but I dont think it should be made more inconvient to use... This would stop abuse but then nomads would effectively be cut off from the server as if we didnt want to have anything to do with them (which is a bit unfriendly).

If you were to implement this then could you possibly extend the local chat range, its WAY too short range you have to literally stand rite next to them it like a 10 block range which is inconvenient in any activity people undertake together (e.g spelunking). On Aurora server which aslo uses bucket the range is much greater but not so large that you can talk from either side of a town.
MrSpoon
MrSpoon

Back to top Go down

Post  TheLolness 2011-02-12, 11:46 am

Well OOC (Out Of Character.. i think thats what it stands for i heard soto say that before)chat is basically suppose to be a casual chat that you can talk about anything so basically it shouldint have any rules but no bartering or no rping in there.
TheLolness
TheLolness

Back to top Go down

Post  skeletonboy 2011-02-12, 2:12 pm

TheLolness wrote:Well OOC (Out Of Character.. i think thats what it stands for i heard soto say that before)chat is basically suppose to be a casual chat that you can talk about anything so basically it shouldint have any rules but no bartering or no rping in there.

What about something like "Anyone want to buy some diamonds?"
skeletonboy
skeletonboy

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-02-12, 4:29 pm

skeletonboy wrote:
TheLolness wrote:Well OOC (Out Of Character.. i think thats what it stands for i heard soto say that before)chat is basically suppose to be a casual chat that you can talk about anything so basically it shouldint have any rules but no bartering or no rping in there.

What about something like "Anyone want to buy some diamonds?"

Put signs up on bulletin boards either along the road or in town, and ask others you meet. I've thought about it a little more, and if we want people to trade more often, we need to rid ourselves of the stereotype that, "trading is boring". The best way to make trading more engaging, would be to make it more challenging. Traders should not be seen as a profession that just sits around, spamming chat channel until they find someone to meet up with. Traders should be traveling merchants, always on the lookout to make a deal. If a player is interested in a deal they find on a bulletin board, they can simply PM the merchant, and either have him deliver it (either to save time or avoid a suspected ambush), or journey to his town to make the trade yourself.

Maybe find a way to add towny exceptions for signs? I don't think everyone being able to place signs in town boarders will be too exploitable.
MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  Hazzy 2011-02-12, 6:48 pm

Doing away entirely with distanced chats might make the game interesting. Unfortunately, people could just switch to an IM. :/
Hazzy
Hazzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-02-12, 7:10 pm

I like the OOC channel

If you remove it or change it so long distant players can't be bored... well, I may as well just play Single Player.
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dementor 2011-02-13, 12:13 am

/ch pm [playername] it moves you and [player] to private chat
Dementor
Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-02-13, 4:39 pm

Hazzy wrote:Doing away entirely with distanced chats might make the game interesting. Unfortunately, people could just switch to an IM. :/

That's fine, as long as they aren't clouding the other player's screens with their chatter. Plus they'd only be able to talk to people whose screen names they know from long distance.
MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-02-13, 5:49 pm

I was in an RP server that enforced local chat only. The only distance chat was through messaging, and there was an ooc chat too. BUT. They really enforced the NO METAGAMING rule. Meaning anything discussed in OOC was not allowed to be acted upon in character, the players had to trade the information again in character. Same went for messages, players could not simply use messages over long distances to coordinate their actions, they had to role play their conversations before going apart.

I think it would be great to do away with messaging systems and OOC chat in general. Enforcing players to be close together or to send messengers between kingdoms would be a great RP element. Of course, not a whole lot of people here seem to be interested in genuine role playing....
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-02-13, 5:49 pm

Would be good if you couldn't see anything from OOC if you didn't actually join the channel. How about that?

Unless of course theres an option to be able to have a Clan Chat, Local Chat and an OOC Chat, being you can switch the OOC off if you'd like and keep your clan and Local chat on? I dunno.

Some times spam may annoy me, but when your mining for hours on end, if theres nothing happening in OOC you want to kill yourself. lol, at least I did Very Happy
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down