The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literature Thread

+4
TheWhippetgood
AdrianRedd
Toren
Sevyn
8 posters

Go down

Literature Thread Empty Literature Thread

Post  Sevyn 2011-01-13, 10:06 pm

I think most of us read books. Post what books you read and maybe you can talk about it with some else ^^

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series is one of the best I have ever read ... (I have not finished it yet!)
I have read the Inheritance Cycle, and I'm anticipating Book Four!
REEEEDWALLLLLL. That book made my hungry.
Artemis Fowl is too smart for himself.
The Hunger Games is a work of art.
Harry Potter was good. The writing was meh, but hey, story over writing always wins.
Ender's Game Series... I still think of it.

I mainly read Fantasy and Fiction, but occasionly I will read something weird if I'm extremely bored . . . I once read a three hundred page biography about the airline Emirates.

I read extremely fast; I can finish a good sized 500 page book in two days.

Last edited by Sevyn on 2011-01-14, 8:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Literature Thread Empty Re: Literature Thread

Post  Toren 2011-01-13, 10:44 pm

I'm waiting for the fourth Inheritance book too. The dude rights too slow... Evil or Very Mad
Toren
Toren

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-13, 10:59 pm

Inheritance is just Star Wars, but fantasy. Boy, son of an evil emperor, lives with his uncle, is trained by an old ex-rider who dies, has an evil brother, and has to learn to become a jedi. I'm surprised he didn't fly through a big trench and shoot a hole the size of a womp rat from back home.

Besides Star Wars, Paolini was strongly inspired by The Belgariad, a series by David Eddings. Now THERE'S a series of books! If you want a coming of age story with fantastic characters, I would suggest The Belgariad. I've read that series five times.

Ender's Game is the best book of all time, next to the Belgariad.

Rainbow Six is a great Tom Clancy book. I really enjoyed it. Took me almost an entire summer to muscle through it.

I'm currently beginning the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. It's a 15 book series that's unfinished. There's 13 books out now. Each one is over 800 pages. And so far it's fantastic.

Redwall. The Hobbit......
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWhippetgood 2011-01-14, 7:27 pm

Redwall is such a great book. Haven't read any of the sequels/prequels though.

Just finished Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Maybe the funniest book I've ever read. His humor is interesting, because you have to read it to get it. I've shown parts to friends and their like "Huh?". Ends abruptly though, I will defiantly but the sequel soon.
TheWhippetgood
TheWhippetgood

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-01-14, 7:54 pm

I read fast as well. Managed the entire Harry Potter series in 4 days to prepare for seeing the movie :3

I really love The Hunger Games series. It is a modern classic, if you ask me.
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-01-15, 5:18 pm

Does Cracked.com count as reading?

I don't read all too much, but every now and again I'll find a good book like Ranger's Apprentice. Manga comics are awesome aswell (Rurouni Kenshin) Very Happy
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  martx 2011-01-16, 2:14 am

Ender's Game series, plus the two books about Bean are probably some of the best books I've ever read.
The only work of literature better than them is the work of J. R. R. Tolkien (The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion...)
I've also read Harry Potter and it's a very good series in my opinion.
I've read two Dune books (Dune and Dune Messiah).
Right now I'm reading the Otherland cicle, which is a great sci-fi series.
Inheritance Cycle is cool. I know it's very similar to Star Wars, but it was still fun to read.

Ps. Adrian, if you don't mind heavy music, you might want to check out these two songs: Wheel of Time and Ride into Obsession . Both are by Blind Guardian, from their newest album At the Edge of Time.
martx

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-16, 2:29 am

Thanks for the links Mart!

Also, you'll be pleased to learn that there was more than two books written about Bean. There was Ender's Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon. Then there's Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant. I never got to Shadow Puppets, but I imagine it's pretty good.

Harry Potter IS good, but I feel that Rowling lost her vision after the fourth book. That, or it was as she planned all along. Once the books got all dark and emo I stopped liking them. It's certainly a good series, but Harry as a character really started to degrade after a while. And the ending was not satisfying at all. BUT, the first few books are works of art, and everyone should read the whole series at least once.

What's the Otherland Cycle about? I'm interested in a good sci-fi every once in a while to pace my ravenous appetite for fantasy.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for gritty war sci-fi? I get tired of all the High Science crap that gets made today. Too much science mixed with eastern philosophy and crap. I want a war novel set in the future, with mechs, ships, aliens and blood. Any ideas? (Besides Warhammer)

AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  martx 2011-01-16, 2:47 am

AdrianRedd wrote:
Also, you'll be pleased to learn that there was more than two books written about Bean. There was Ender's Shadow, and Shadow of the Hegemon. Then there's Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant. I never got to Shadow Puppets, but I imagine it's pretty good.
Wow, I never knew about that. Thanks for the info, I'll sure check them out.

AdrianRedd wrote:
What's the Otherland Cycle about? I'm interested in a good sci-fi every once in a while to pace my ravenous appetite for fantasy.
It's about a virtual world created by some of the richest, most powerful, and most evil men in the world. The problem is, that for it to work they need to use... Well, I don't really want to spoil it for you. Basiacally it's a group of people wondering around something similar to the Matrix.
Funny thing is that I learned about this series from another Blind Guardian song Laughing .
Also, the aouthor (Tad Williams) is mainly a fantasy writer. I haven't checked out any other books by him, but I did get one of his series(es?) for Christmas. Just haven't started reading it yet.

martx

Back to top Go down

Post  samyham 2011-01-18, 3:30 pm

My favorite books would have to include:
Percy Jackson series
Inheritance Cycle
Lord of The Rings (Just started reading it and IT'S AWESOME!)
Harry Potter used to be one of my favorites, but that was before reading other stuff, I still think it's great though.
I read Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but none of the other ones in the series, it was hilarious.
I also really like The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass, that series, I can't remember what it's called.
samyham
samyham

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down