The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poverty of the world

+7
Clinthor
MrSpoon
DarwinAssist
Roflbeeb
Blind_Merc
draco222
­
11 posters

Go down

Poverty of the world Empty Poverty of the world

Post  ­ 2011-04-05, 5:36 pm

What do you guys in forumland think about poverty?

Any poverty is discussable here, in fact, I think it would be a bit eye opening if some people from other countries described poverty there. I'm pretty sure that poverty isn't just centered in the U.S., and also that it is not the same everywhere.

So if you know anything about poverty in your region then talk about it. Have you ever done anything for the poor/destitute?

­
­
Admin

Back to top Go down

Poverty of the world Empty Re: Poverty of the world

Post  draco222 2011-04-05, 6:19 pm

Honestly, the fact that poverty is so abundant in the world makes me very upset...

The American government sits around mostly without the president's pushing, because the Democrats and the Republicans hate each other and they almost always end in a stalemate... Getting us nowhere.

Republicans also represent the rich people, and since it is logical to tax rich people to help pay poor people, (and not to tax middle class to help poor people) they are always apposed to doing what is right. Democrats basically represent the middle class.

Forgive me for the slight bias, I am from New York, where many people are Democratic...
draco222
draco222

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-04-05, 6:29 pm

I don't know much about the poverty over here, however I can say many people were upset about these Asylum seekers coming in and the government giving out millions of dollars to shelter them, and school them. That's fair enough on their side, but the homeless over here that must wait for months on a list to get shelter for a night or lucky to get food were not so happy.
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-04-05, 7:11 pm

draco222 wrote:-snip-
Personally, I believe in fair tax.
I don't want to get too offtopic here, but I find that it is more logical to tax people equally; not based on their income. In the end, the government still gets our money, which, in turn, should be distributed to the mentally/physically disabled (NOT those who are too lazy to get jobs!)

Alright, back on topic. If human beings as a whole weren't so greedy, the world would be a much better place. Would it kill people to give up 25 dollars to help build wells and start businesses?

EDIT: Before I forget, Illegal Aliens are taking away from legal citizens in the US that really do need help.

Last edited by Roflbeeb on 2011-04-05, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : New point!)
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  DarwinAssist 2011-04-05, 10:16 pm

draco222 wrote:Republicans also represent the rich people, and since it is logical to tax rich people to help pay poor people, (and not to tax middle class to help poor people) they are always apposed to doing what is right. Democrats basically represent the middle class.

Forgive me for the slight bias, I am from New York, where many people are Democratic...

One of the problems with taxing the rich is that the rich give the poor jobs so if you tax them then the poor get paid less. It also results in businesses moving to different countries in order to get cheaper labor because taxes make it to hard to pay good wages.
DarwinAssist

Back to top Go down

Post  MrSpoon 2011-04-06, 1:31 pm

DarwinAssist wrote:
draco222 wrote:Republicans also represent the rich people, and since it is logical to tax rich people to help pay poor people, (and not to tax middle class to help poor people) they are always apposed to doing what is right. Democrats basically represent the middle class.

One of the problems with taxing the rich is that the rich give the poor jobs so if you tax them then the poor get paid less. It also results in businesses moving to different countries in order to get cheaper labor because taxes make it to hard to pay good wages.

this is not exactly the problem but it may happen

The main problem with over taxing the rich is that they will just leave the country for a tax haven such as Monte-Carlo. Because the tax on companies is comparably high in the UK a lot of big companies that want to cheat the system locate their "headquarters" (purely for tax evasion not practicality) on the isle of Jersey ( 0% tax, still part of UK, small island with few thousand pop). I believe my self to be left wing (democrat, labour, SOVIET RUSSIA!!!) but I still think taxing the rich too much will cause more problems than it solves.
MrSpoon
MrSpoon

Back to top Go down

Post  draco222 2011-04-06, 1:56 pm

Darwin, I understand that, but honestly, people who have small businesses also give people jobs... They need recognition, and guess who those people are! That's right, middle class people who need to work to survive. Do rich people need to work? Not really, hire someone with all that money and you're basically set.
draco222
draco222

Back to top Go down

Post  DarwinAssist 2011-04-06, 4:24 pm

First off most people are not employed by small businesses but by big companies. Second a harsh tax on the rich makes it harder for small businesses to become bigger and richer. Basically if you tax the rich the poor will get lower wages because the rich want to stay rich and there is nothing wrong with it. I mean if you work hard and become successful do you want to have to pay more money because you put in the effort to become rich?
DarwinAssist

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-04-06, 4:31 pm

Aren't small businesses that are worthwhile usually owned by a larger business anyway?

Also, I thought they were taxing everyone? - poor, middle-class, rich, etc...
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-04-06, 5:17 pm

Blind_Merc wrote:Aren't small businesses that are worthwhile usually owned by a larger business anyway?

Also, I thought they were taxing everyone? - poor, middle-class, rich, etc...
They are, but you'll find that those with a higher income are taxed more. [Most] people worked hard to earn that money, it should be their right to keep it!
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Clinthor 2011-04-06, 5:49 pm

poverty is a huge issue that most people turn a blind eye to because they don't live in these poor countries. A homeless person here in the states probably gets more money in a month then people in 3rd world countries make in a year. They probably get more and better food than the average person in say Liberia does. I'm not trying to downplay the homeless problems we face in our first world countries, just pointing out that most people are too wrapped up in their own nations to pay any attention to the plight of poverty on a global scale.

now about the whole giving the rich tax cuts thing is fucking ridiculous, our income disparity is atrocious. The trickle down shit clearly does not work, walmart is one of the biggest corporations in the world and they barely pay over minimum wage. .
Clinthor
Clinthor

Back to top Go down

Post  Arkitek 2011-04-06, 6:17 pm

draco222 wrote:Honestly, the fact that poverty is so abundant in the world makes me very upset...

The American government sits around mostly without the president's pushing, because the Democrats and the Republicans hate each other and they almost always end in a stalemate... Getting us nowhere.

Republicans also represent the rich people, and since it is logical to tax rich people to help pay poor people, (and not to tax middle class to help poor people) they are always apposed to doing what is right. Democrats basically represent the middle class.

Sounds like you are blaming the United states for not fixing poverty around the world O_o

I consider myself a Moderate / Moderate Libertarian

My view of the 2 main political partys:
Republicans represent: rich (high middle class) / people that want a keep our republic / people that don't want government involvement in their lives
Democrats represent: lower middle class / people that want a democracy / people want the rich to pay for everything lol

Numbers by 2004 census:
Also I think small businesses as having less then 20 people employed (21.2 million people employed by small businesses)
And big business as having more then 20 people employed (94 million people employed by big business)
77% of people working for a company work for what I would call a big business

draco222 wrote:Darwin, I understand that, but honestly, people who have small businesses also give people jobs... They need recognition, and guess who those people are! That's right, middle class people who need to work to survive. Do rich people need to work? Not really, hire someone with all that money and you're basically set.

Yes the rich can hire people to do work for them but that money came from somewhere and someone had to work for it.
Every big business starts out as a small business
And rich people hiring someone is a good thing, and it seems like you are saying its a bad thing.

Arkitek
Arkitek

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-04-06, 9:19 pm

I heard somewhere twenty percent of the homeless in the United States had mental issues after the fallout of a bunch of mental institutions.

And yes, the homeless in the US are rich (comparatively). I heard a story where some guy offered a homeless guy a job and he replied he made more money standing on the corner than the job gave him.
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  Transfatninja 2011-04-07, 1:03 am

I'm pretty left of center, so it goes without saying that I'm not partial to big business. Now, I don't necessarily hate businesses in general, it's just the ridiculous amount of abuse of power that goes on that I really can't sympathize with them. Big businesses want "fair" flat taxes, everyone pays the same percentage so it's fair right? Not really, large corporations can dodge taxes with no issue, making it "fair" would just make it worse. GE earned billions in profit in 2010... no taxes paid whatsoever... even with a weighted percentage tax.... it really doesn't seem like they're paying their fair share even as it is now. If everyone up and paid their fair share, sure, I'm all for a flat tax; doesn't seem likely though with these types of shenanigans going on. John Q. Public can't evade taxes without being hounded for it by the IRS should they find out, but it's standard practice in the world of corporations, since they can afford all the tax loopholes. The poor especially can't afford to dodge taxes, so raising their taxes will effect them far greater than raising taxes on the rich, which are able to evade their taxes at will.

Also, I consider trickle-down to be pretty much bunk. The rich & businesses only hire when it's in their interests, it's simple economics. A CEO getting a huge tax break isn't going to create jobs further down the line, he doesn't personally pay each and every employee. Yeah, he might pay a few people to drive him around, wait on him, etc. but he's not going to open another burger joint across the street from his house with his own personal money. Applied to companies, it's a bit more valid, but a great deal of a company's money goes towards huge executive bonuses, which could easily provide for many more employees if the company wanted to hire them (thus it's pretty clear they don't...).

Anyways, I'm fine with the people who earned their fortune and don't let it completely consume them. Trouble is, they're few and far between. It's the many priveledged people that abuse their wealth & power that really get on my nerves, which happens far too often for a healthy economy.

Just my two cents.
Transfatninja

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxxOverdrive 2011-04-07, 1:37 am

Sevyn wrote:I heard somewhere twenty percent of the homeless in the United States had mental issues after the fallout of a bunch of mental institutions.

And yes, the homeless in the US are rich (comparatively). I heard a story where some guy offered a homeless guy a job and he replied he made more money standing on the corner than the job gave him.

I'd believe it. On one of the big streets here in Columbus, there're quite a few homeless people who make upwards of $600 a month panhandling. I'd say "more power to em", but man, simple panhandling is so lame; I wish more homeless people would at least make an attempt to earn my change through hilarious street entertainment instead of just shaking a cup at me. Fuck, do a backflip or re-enact a stunt from jackass or something, anything that doesn't involve you mean-mugging me would be cool.
MaxxOverdrive
MaxxOverdrive

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-04-07, 2:13 am

I remember hearing about a scam down under once. Some guy faked he was homeless to scab money, making from $500-$600, than spending it on pokies. They found the guy had spent literally $100,000's of $. xD

Sometimes I think we're better off homeless or in jail. At least over here. -.-
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down