Engineer Corps Projects

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Engineer Corps Projects

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-05, 5:31 pm

The purpose of this topic to to organize, manage, and discuss projects being done by the Engineer Corps. If you have a suggestions for a project, please post it in this topic. If you would like to join the Engineer Corps, please take a look at this topic.

Projects
Projects are basically anything that can be done involving building that will benefit the server. Once a project has been suggested, it can be taken on by any member. This member will become the project leader.

Project Leaders
Project leaders manage a project. They plan everything out so that when Engineer Corps members are available to help, they can tell/show them exactly what needs to be done. This may be accomplished by creating some sort of template for everyone to work by. Project leaders do not 'own' a project, they simply make sure the job gets done in an organized fashion.
To become a project leader, a Corps member must make a post in this topic stating that they would like to lead a project. If multiple members would like to lead a project, they must collaborate. If this proves to be an issue, the system will be modified.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Projects

Kingdoms Road Network - Led by Applebeard
Applebeard has begun connecting different buildings and towns on the server. With permission from the building/town owner, a cobblestone road is built to the entrance from an existing road. This task sometimes includes tunneling through mountains, which is made much easier with more manpower. Contact Applebeard if you would like to know how you can help.
Feel free to post requests for connection to the road network in this topic.

The Kingdoms Museum - Led by CornNerd
Details on this project can be found in this topic.
Materials are currently being collected for this project. Once a location has been chosen and the basic layout has been formed, other members may assist in construction.

Pirate Water Route - Led by Cyrpranex
AdrianRedd wrote:The pirates could use a more convenient water route from spawn to our base. Right now we have to circumvent a bunch of land to make it to our base by boat. While we don't mind a winding route, it would be nice to make it a little shorter.
If anyone would like to begin planning out this project, please post in this topic saying so.

Structure Deconstruction - Completed

Last edited by CornNerd on 2011-02-18, 1:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
CornNerd

View user profile http://thehobbyfinder.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Engineer Corps Projects

Post  Hazzy on 2011-02-06, 1:05 pm

I have unholy amounts of cobble and wood which I can offer in constructing a road. I have a tendency to perfectionism in my building, so I'll probably have some 2 cents about the road design.
Hazzy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-06, 1:55 pm

Hazzy wrote:I have unholy amounts of cobble and wood which I can offer in constructing a road. I have a tendency to perfectionism in my building, so I'll probably have some 2 cents about the road design.
Right now the roads are 3-wide cobblestone blocks. As far as I'm concerned, the roads don't have to be standardized for the entire server, but you can discuss it with Applebeard if you want a standard design. Perhaps post a sample design here?
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn on 2011-02-06, 2:04 pm

I am going to help with roads, and possibly derelict towers so people can spend the night in (relative) safety while traveling long distance.

*facedesk* -AdrianRedd

The UK has always been my back-up plan. The exchange rate for USD - Euros is quite high right now. -Cypranex

The awkward moment when you try to spend Euros in the UK -Nathias

Best described as Lawful Chaotic.
Sevyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-06, 2:17 pm

Sevyn wrote:I am going to help with roads, and possibly derelict towers so people can spend the night in (relative) safety while traveling long distance.
Good idea. I hate when night sneaks up on me and I have to make a mad dash for any kind of shelter.

I'm not sure how many places we have to make roads to right now. Do we have approval to make roads to all kingdoms?
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn on 2011-02-06, 4:53 pm

You have approval to make roads to all kingdoms. Kingdoms should be well prepared by now anyways.

Remember to occasionally make roads pass through scenic routes, and be sure to put torches.

*facedesk* -AdrianRedd

The UK has always been my back-up plan. The exchange rate for USD - Euros is quite high right now. -Cypranex

Sevyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-06, 5:16 pm

Sevyn wrote:Remember to occasionally make roads pass through scenic routes.
I would like to eventually start making some world wonder-ish things like pyramids, gardens, monuments etc. to encourage exploration. They should also make walking long distances a bit more pleasant.
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn on 2011-02-06, 5:22 pm

CornNerd wrote:
I would like to eventually start making some world wonder-ish things like pyramids, gardens, monuments etc. to encourage exploration. They should also make walking long distances a bit more pleasant.

I'd also like to suggest making dungeons Smile

*facedesk* -AdrianRedd

Sevyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb on 2011-02-06, 5:32 pm

I know I'm not a member of the Corps, but I'm building a wildlife preserve/ national park type thing. It is basically a bunch of trees surrounded by a wall. If you think it's interesting enough, let me know if you have any spare hands that can help. Also, some suggestions would be nice!

Error. 404'd. -Sevyn

I care Very Happy LAVA I love lava and love reading post about people finding lava as lava is super ultra mega rare donkeys. See I can post useless things too Very Happy. -Ryuukazu

Yes, swear at the person who has the highest ban count in the server. Makes excellent sense. -Sevyn

Roflbeeb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-06, 5:45 pm

Sevyn wrote:I'd also like to suggest making dungeons Smile
That's a definite possibility.

Roflbeeb wrote:I know I'm not a member of the Corps, but I'm building a wildlife preserve/ national park type thing. It is basically a bunch of trees surrounded by a wall. If you think it's interesting enough, let me know if you have any spare hands that can help. Also, some suggestions would be nice!
If I see you online, I'll come check it out. I can't speak for any of the other members, but I may be able to lend a hand.
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Cpt_Jak on 2011-02-07, 2:48 am

Nathias and I have founded a pretty large group on the eastern edge and hope to become a nation soon. We've started to build a highway but keep getting sidetracked. We plan to be a major power in trade but our remote location makes travel a bitch. We would really appreciate anybody working on the highway. If you want coordinates message me, we'd hate to be griefed before we get on our feet. If you're already making a link to Golgoth Cove it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Thanks,

Cpt_Jak, General of the Earthen Legion, Lord of Celsian
Cpt_Jak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWhippetgood on 2011-02-07, 5:24 pm

CornNerd wrote:

I have thought of making little houses/structures around the world in my free time while playing. Having buildings littered around the world would add to the atmosphere, even if they serve no purpose.

My three projects at the moment I'm thinking of at the moment are:

a church/graveyard,

a "map room type thing in a rural location. If somebody gets lost, this house would contain signs pointing back to civilization,

and something I'm going to keep secret Very Happy Question

(Of course these things can get griefed, but it does n;t really matter
TheWhippetgood

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sindre_t on 2011-02-10, 7:54 am

Well we could try to make a labyrint somewhere on the map. I should be made hard to complete, and maby whit a price if you get thru it but only the first time.

There could forexample be checkpoints you had to visit to open ut the exit on the other end.

sindre_t

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MrSpoon on 2011-02-11, 2:02 pm

I like this idea tonnes cornnerd Smile that the sort of thing I had hoped to do with the guilds Razz. I m happy to help with any projects the corps undertake when I come back to this server
MrSpoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-12, 1:57 pm

sindre_t wrote:Well we could try to make a labyrinth somewhere on the map. I should be made hard to complete, and maby whit a price if you get thru it but only the first time.

There could for example be checkpoints you had to visit to open ut the exit on the other end.

Something like that would almost surely have to be protected. One greifer could easily ruin the whole experience of any sort of maze. I like the idea, it's just a matter of how to execute it.

MrSpoon wrote:I like this idea tonnes cornnerd Smile that the sort of thing I had hoped to do with the guilds Razz. I m happy to help with any projects the corps undertake when I come back to this server
Awesome. Just check this thread every once in a while to see what you can do to help.
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Weekly Update - 2/12/11

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-12, 2:37 pm

Engineer Corps Weekly Update - 2/12/11

I'm going to try to do an update each week with things that have been accomplished and some things we can do in coming weeks.

So far, So incomplete

So that Kingdom's Museum idea has been sitting on the drawing room table for a while. What's going on with it?
Lately I have been collecting materials for it (don't you love smooth stone?) and I still need to find a nice, cozy spot for it. Admittedly, though, as I'm not exactly in a rush to finish it, I have been devoting much of my time to other things.

Now I can get from Point A to Point B in a matter of days!

As far as I can tell, the roads are coming along nicely. I don't think we've managed to link all of the kingdoms yet, but that will come with time. I have no even managed to visit all of the kingdoms yet.

I noticed a bridge leading directly into the Sigma Coalition that was greifed. However, there was a somewhat legitimate reason for this. The bridge had no side exits, just a path into the Coalition building. In other words, you could get from Point A to Point B, but if you want to get to Point C, you had to go back to Point A. Just as a suggestion, if you are building anything, try to give people options. Don't limit them too much by barriers or railings. That's how things end up getting Hulk-Smashed.

Per an excellent idea from Sevyn, I plan to begin making periodic "safe houses" on the road for when travelers find the sun is traveling faster than they are. When darkness falls, they will be able to duck into this small structure for the night. They will be nothing complex, just enough to keep out the blood-hungry monsters.

Need a building or town linked to the road network? Make a post in this thread or send a private message to CornNerd or Applebeard. We'll make sure you get connected.

That's a very nice hat you have there...

Don't have a golden hat yet? No worries, neither do I. So far, it seems there is no real need for a symbol of Engineer-hood. No one has attacked my while I've been building (then again, no one has been around while I've been building) and I haven't heard any reports of anyone doing so. As the server grows, we may need something to protect us, but for now we seem to be safe. I hope I didn't just jinx us.

Fun for the whole community

This is not necessarily related to the Engineer Corps. This is more of something I am working on, but I hope all of you will get involved in time.
At this moment I have a decent amount of silver, a fair sum of gold, and even some diamonds. Why do you care? Because they could be yours! That's right, all valuable that I find will eventually belong to the community. They will be prizes in community events that I will announce every once in while. Right now, I have none planned, which is just as well since the prizes are less-than-spectacular at this point. I have an idea for a first contest of sorts that will hopefully provide me with some ideas. More details to come.

If you have any ideas for community events, or you wish to donate items to be used as prizes, please make a post in this thread or send a private message to CornNerd.

That's all for now. I hope to see some great things produced this week. Work hard and have fun!

-CornNerd

Last edited by CornNerd on 2011-02-12, 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn on 2011-02-12, 2:43 pm

Road Update: Working on a road for the Legion. Currently it's over 300 blocks long, and i have about four hundred to go.

I do need help!

*facedesk* -AdrianRedd

Sevyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-12, 2:48 pm

Sevyn wrote:Road Update: Working on a road for the Legion. Currently it's over 300 blocks long, and i have about four hundred to go.

I do need help!

I'll send you a message if I see you online. I'll come help.
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Cypranex on 2011-02-13, 7:36 pm

Ok well first I wanted to say that you guys are amazing roadworkers. Now, I want to warn you of some problems I have noticed. The tunnel leading to Outremer has been griefed multiple times. And every road I have seen with torches on it has had at least half of the torches taken. Just thought you should know.

Also if you ever need a bodyguard for some dangerous work :3 call me Very Happy
Cypranex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-13, 7:54 pm

Cypranex wrote:Ok well first I wanted to say that you guys are amazing roadworkers. Now, I want to warn you of some problems I have noticed. The tunnel leading to Outremer has been griefed multiple times. And every road I have seen with torches on it has had at least half of the torches taken. Just thought you should know.

Also if you ever need a bodyguard for some dangerous work :3 call me Very Happy

Yes, I noticed the tunnel as well. It's a shame and as I doubt we can protect all of the roads, we will just have to fix what we can when we can. I've seen quite a few greifed roads today. As long as it doesn't become too common a thing, I'm willing to deal with it. Thanks for your support.
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  jcdomini on 2011-02-17, 11:35 am

Seen some of the work so far, and I have to say - it looks pretty awesome! I'm in Sigma Coalition, and I noticed the issue with the bridge not having side exits - I chopped out a small portion right at the sigma gate and built stairs down to ground level, so there is an exit at the other end now.

Any chance the Engineer Corps can be enlisted for destructive/environmental rehabilitation purposes? There is a particularly large structure that was built and then mostly torn down, but a large portion of the roof and the floor remains in the middle of an otherwise natural looking region. There is plenty of wood/wool/half-blocks to be had by cleaning this location up, as well as refreshing the environment. I was wondering if Engineering Corps. was interested, and if so, let me know and I'll give the coordinates. I have plenty of saplings to donate to the cause to help regenerate the area once cleared, but I don't have the resources/manpower to clear it myself - I would be interested in helping though!

jcdomini

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-17, 12:42 pm

jcdomini wrote:Any chance the Engineer Corps can be enlisted for destructive/environmental rehabilitation purposes? There is a particularly large structure that was built and then mostly torn down, but a large portion of the roof and the floor remains in the middle of an otherwise natural looking region. There is plenty of wood/wool/half-blocks to be had by cleaning this location up, as well as refreshing the environment. I was wondering if Engineering Corps. was interested, and if so, let me know and I'll give the coordinates. I have plenty of saplings to donate to the cause to help regenerate the area once cleared, but I don't have the resources/manpower to clear it myself - I would be interested in helping though!

Yep, those are just the sort of things we're here for. You can just post the coords and I'll add it to the projects list and get to work when I can.
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  jcdomini on 2011-02-17, 4:22 pm

X=314
Y=945

It's about 100 blocks to the east of Sigma Coalition, so you're welcome to hide out within our walls at night and eat all our baconwithlegs that you find to keep your health spirits up.

Thanks! Very Happy

jcdomini

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn on 2011-02-17, 5:23 pm

Remember, we always love donations!
Whether it's that cobble thats been sitting there for months, or a derelict building that we can salvage for materials, we are always in need!

*facedesk* -AdrianRedd

Sevyn

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CornNerd on 2011-02-17, 7:08 pm

Original post updated with new project information (Structure Deconstruction).
CornNerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next