The Kingdom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Big Question - Map Reset?

+17
skeletonboy
Toren
Raijouta
derekiv
Littlemoomoo
GeorgeH
Soulcom
ivanelk
jcdomini
Sevyn
AdrianRedd
Blind_Merc
HoboJoeTLM
nsumasterchief
Roflbeeb
h0witzer
Soto_Black
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should we do a map reset?

The Big Question - Map Reset? Vote_lcap70%The Big Question - Map Reset? Vote_rcap 70% 
[ 38 ]
The Big Question - Map Reset? Vote_lcap28%The Big Question - Map Reset? Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 15 ]
The Big Question - Map Reset? Vote_lcap2%The Big Question - Map Reset? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 54

Poll closed

The Big Question - Map Reset? Empty The Big Question - Map Reset?

Post  Soto_Black 2011-01-09, 1:31 pm

This has been debated quite a bit. We took a vote and ended up about 50/50. I will not do a map reset unless I get at least 70% of the votes for resetting.

Positives

-Large and complex structures that took a long time to build can be saved and brought over to the new map. (best examples: Ships, Castles, Towers.)
-Clean map for factions to plan their new building structures
-Less 1x1 towers and the many 1x1 core deep holes everywhere. (Swiss cheese map)
-New players will have an easier time finding caves that have not already been mined dry.
-The new players will feel they can make a bigger impact on a fresh map encouraging them to stick around.
-Factions will be able to plan their location better according to spawn locations and other faction locations.
-Will be able to configure the borders properly.
-Fresh start and everyone will be on equal grounds.

Negatives

-Some structures will be lost as we cannot save everything. Only the very time consuming projects
-The lore and special locations/memorials on the map will be lost
-All the hard work of gathered resources will be lost

The positives make look like they outweigh the negatives, but really the only things that are lost in the reset is the hard work and the gathered resources. That is all just a personal thing. It will depend on you to determine whether you would want to let go of your hard work or try to have it transferred.
Soto_Black
Soto_Black

Back to top Go down

The Big Question - Map Reset? Empty Re: The Big Question - Map Reset?

Post  h0witzer 2011-01-09, 1:56 pm

At my time of posting the vote is 10 for it (71%) 4 against (29%) and 0 undecided. Though that seems definitive I'd let the poll run a bit longer.
h0witzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Soto_Black 2011-01-09, 1:57 pm

h0witzer wrote:At my time of posting the vote is 10 for it (71%) 4 against (29%) and 0 undecided. Though that seems definitive I'd let the poll run a bit longer.

Oh yeah I only opened it up 10 minutes ago or so.
Soto_Black
Soto_Black

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-01-09, 2:28 pm

I'll take some screenshots of things I think should be carried over... might take a while, though.
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  nsumasterchief 2011-01-09, 4:31 pm

The only way i will agree with reset is if they can move all of my castle to the server,including the mountain it is set on. If that is true, i am yes, but if it is untrue, i will disagree
nsumasterchief

Back to top Go down

Post  Soto_Black 2011-01-09, 4:37 pm

nsumasterchief wrote:The only way i will agree with reset is if they can move all of my castle to the server,including the mountain it is set on. If that is true, i am yes, but if it is untrue, i will disagree

When I get done with the new system for the server today I will take a look at that.
Soto_Black
Soto_Black

Back to top Go down

Post  HoboJoeTLM 2011-01-09, 4:49 pm

a

Last edited by HoboJoeTLM on 2011-09-16, 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
HoboJoeTLM
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-01-09, 4:50 pm

If your carrying things over. I don't see why not.

Was hard to find any decent area in the map as there were giants unused dirt castles every were. xD
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-01-09, 4:53 pm

Blind_Merc wrote:If your carrying things over. I don't see why not.

Was hard to find any decent area in the map as there were giants unused dirt castles every were. xD
Oh, do you mean those giant dirt spheres? They were cool, but just took up space. I wonder who made those...
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-09, 5:40 pm

Things that need to change in the event of a server reset:

1. Kingdoms need to be closer together. The size of the kingdoms needs to be determined before hand.

2. Spawn Town built before server goes public.

3. Roads need to be built between at least some of the kingdoms. If protection works, then having your base discovered shouldn't be a big deal. If you're afraid of attack, then defend! These are essential for trade routes.

4. No impenetrable bases. Nothing with so much defense that it cannot be attacked.

5. No teleports. Period.

6. Trade! We need people trading by traveling between cities and selling their wares. Build shops, trade. iEconomy is nice, but I want to see people TRAVELING, not setting up a sign and calling it a store....

7. New leaders and kingdoms. The Pirates are still healthy, but Dawn is just about dead and Igor's are busy rebuilding and/or moving, with limited leadership.

8. The nailed down set of rules for the server. Can't wait for them to be finalized!
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sevyn 2011-01-09, 5:43 pm

AdrianRedd wrote:Things that need to change in the event of a server reset:

1. Kingdoms need to be closer together. The size of the kingdoms needs to be determined before hand.

YES. I never found Dawn and Pirates before I became a Mod.

2. Spawn Town built before server goes public.

Agreed.

3. Roads need to be built between at least some of the kingdoms. If protection works, then having your base discovered shouldn't be a big deal. If you're afraid of attack, then defend! These are essential for trade routes.

Agreed.

4. No impenetrable bases. Nothing with so much defense that it cannot be attacked.

Agreed.

5. No teleports. Period.

Nether is a better alternative.

6. Trade! We need people trading by traveling between cities and selling their wares. Build shops, trade. iEconomy is nice, but I want to see people TRAVELING, not setting up a sign and calling it a store....

7. New leaders and kingdoms. The Pirates are still healthy, but Dawn is just about dead and Igor's are busy rebuilding and/or moving, with limited leadership.

8. The nailed down set of rules for the server. Can't wait for them to be finalized!
Sevyn
Sevyn

Back to top Go down

Post  jcdomini 2011-01-09, 6:03 pm

From what I understand, the ability to move creations can even be nailed down to moving entire chunks - if that's the case, I see nothing wrong with moving entire mountains and then the owner would just have to do some terraforming to make it blend with the surroundings.

As long as a significant group is not blatantly against the loss of their gathered resources and unwilling to take on a fresh map and fresh challenges, I think a reset is definitely in order - we've seen that carrying creations themselves wont be too difficult.
jcdomini

Back to top Go down

Post  h0witzer 2011-01-09, 6:43 pm

See, the thing about defense is if you have the ability to make an impenetrable fortress then you should be able to benefit from it. As it stands now I know that every Kingdom so far is able to be broken into and raided, and they all have been as I understand it. But if you can prevent any attack then good on ya!
h0witzer

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanelk 2011-01-09, 8:19 pm

Well you could easily make an invincible kingdom. Get some obsidian and make a 3x3 room everyone can crowd inside and proceed to live the rest of their server days in that box. You would only need 1 towny space to do it too!

Tnt won't even affect it.
ivanelk

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulcom 2011-01-09, 9:02 pm

Make sure you have a cartographic map made before everyone is let into the new world. I think it would help factions get off on the right foot in finding a suitable location for their new home.
Soulcom
Soulcom

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-09, 9:25 pm

That's a good idea Soulcom. It would allow the Pirates to find a suitable lagoon easily. And we could make a thread for people to map out the location of the spawn town, and each kingdom from that point, to make sure it's even and fair. We need a community map that can be updated often so we can plan out the locations of community projects like outposts, towns, and roads.

For instance, I can take a cartograph map and load it up in Photoshop. Then I can draw in a diagram for bases, roads, walls, anything I need to show my pirates or the other kingdoms so they can help with construction or implementation of new features.
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Soto_Black 2011-01-09, 11:19 pm

AdrianRedd wrote:That's a good idea Soulcom. It would allow the Pirates to find a suitable lagoon easily. And we could make a thread for people to map out the location of the spawn town, and each kingdom from that point, to make sure it's even and fair. We need a community map that can be updated often so we can plan out the locations of community projects like outposts, towns, and roads.

For instance, I can take a cartograph map and load it up in Photoshop. Then I can draw in a diagram for bases, roads, walls, anything I need to show my pirates or the other kingdoms so they can help with construction or implementation of new features.

I like it too. Just need that 5%.
Soto_Black
Soto_Black

Back to top Go down

Post  GeorgeH 2011-01-10, 2:59 pm

Soto_Black wrote:This has been debated quite a bit. We took a vote and ended up about 50/50. I will not do a map reset unless I get at least 70% of the votes for resetting.

Is there a mechanism to request a specific structure be saved or do we just make it known on a thread here?
GeorgeH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AdrianRedd 2011-01-10, 5:20 pm

Come on people, three more yes votes! We need a fresh start! If you have a large structure that you want to save, PM Soto and it will be transferred! This will be a huge help to the server and the game in general. We need new kingdoms, a new spawn town, and a new environment. Let's make that happen!
AdrianRedd
AdrianRedd
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  h0witzer 2011-01-10, 5:30 pm

If people don't want to lose their inventories then they should just sell them and buy an equivalent amount of diamonds and make a big diamond house that can be transferred over to the new server that they can then sell for a greater amount of money and buy back their essential items.
h0witzer

Back to top Go down

Post  Soulcom 2011-01-10, 5:33 pm

I think with a finalized set of rules and more stable factions. A map reset can only make the server better.
Soulcom
Soulcom

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlemoomoo 2011-01-10, 6:14 pm

Almost all of the people who voted "no" was because of greedy reasons. They didnt want to lose their precious diamonds and their forts. Honestly, think about it like this. If soto was to just close the server right now, would your diamonds and buildings matter anymore?
Littlemoomoo
Littlemoomoo

Back to top Go down

Post  derekiv 2011-01-10, 6:52 pm

Just need 2 more people. *pokes the people undecided*
derekiv
derekiv

Back to top Go down

Post  Blind_Merc 2011-01-10, 9:13 pm

We have 35 votes, even if the undecided 2 decided to vote no, we have just over half amount of people who would like to refresh the map. Very Happy
Blind_Merc
Blind_Merc

http://fragmenta.com.au/

Back to top Go down

Post  Roflbeeb 2011-01-10, 9:23 pm

Changed my vote from undecided to yes for wipe.
Roflbeeb
Roflbeeb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next